SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canokie

contaminated potting soil???

Shelley Smith
11 years ago

I was planting my carrots Friday night using the trench method and after I had put all the seeds in I opened a small bag of potting soil I picked up at Dollar General to sprinkle on top of the seeds. As soon as I tore open the bag a LOT of fruit flies came out (uneasy moment #1). Then I found a large piece of blue latex that looked like it came from surgical gloves (big uneasy moment #2). Pretty soon there was a second large piece of the blue latex, and I also noticed some little translucent brownish colored balls that were really hard (no idea what they were - some kind of eggs? Tiny beads?) I remember a story I saw on the news a while back about a woman who was stabbed with a hyperdermic needle when she reached into a bag of peat moss. That did it for me. I'm going to take the soil back to Dollar General and get a refund, and I don't think I'm ever going to use storebought potting soil again unless I can be sure of where it comes from. The thought of growing my food in soil that has been contaminated with medical waste or who knows what is rather sickening. What else is in there that we don't know about?

Has anybody else had anything like this happen? And is there a reliable source/company for this stuff?

Comments (14)