SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilene_in_neok

Garden Pics

ilene_in_neok
14 years ago

Well, I promised you all some pics and here they are. Now I want to see yours!

This is my corner "herb & flower" garden. The durn peach tree's in the way so you can't see everything. I just cut down some tall Plains Coreopsis and the Tansy, so about all you can see is the Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate and the Butterfly Bush. That's a bird feeder 'way in the back, made out of a couple different lamps and one of those stove-top circle grills. 'Way in the back is my neighbor's Gawd-Awful "privacy screen" that I'm trying to hide by growing Privet hedge.

This is the compost bin that's starting to fall down. I took all the stuff out of it and planted Rattlesnake beans in half of it and Black Soybeans in the other half. On the other side of the bin, I'm just stacking things we're going to have to feed into the shredder. To the right is the grape arbor, on which are growing some of Insuk's Wang Kong (which look for all the world like Scarlet Runner to me), a few surviving seedless grapevines and one bushel basket gourd plant.

This is the view from the northeast corner of the house. That's a bird house hanging there in the foreground on the left. I think my lens might be dirty or something as I have spots. I was taking that picture into the sun so maybe that's part of it. That's the durn plum tree in the way. There's the new concrete-block raised bed with Moon and Stars growing in the north end. At a distance you can see some tomato cages, those are the tomatoes that are planted at ground level.

This is the back of my house and the porch in the background. You can see how close the fruit trees are to the house. My peppers are struggling in their silver trashcan planters but they are at least doing better than they used to do in the garden because the house shades them in the afternoon. See my milk jugs? I use them for all kinds of stuff. Right now I fill them with bath water and use them to water flowers. I was pumping the bath water out with the pump, but wrangling the hose around for no more water than that was just more work than putting the water in milk jugs.

Here's another view of the grape arbor with my biggest bushel basket gourd hanging from it. The vine is just loaded with little ones and it's all only one vine! If something attacks it, I'm sunk. In the background you can see the sidewalk where people walk in the park. I plant my hollyhocks out there. I had sunflowers there but somebody cut off the best head before the seed had a chance to develop. There's also privet hedge and lilac bushes out there along the fence.

This is from the south edge of the yard. That's my other neighbor's shed in the background. This is where I grew all those cabbages. There's Warsaw Buff Pie Pumpkin growing there now. I have one pumpkin that's about softball size. There are a few small tomato plants in there and down at the far end I've planted some beets for this fall and covered lightly with hay. In the corner in the foreground, that's what's left of the carrots and there are a couple of "Mammoth" Red Rock cabbage still in there. The next bed over still has the stalks from the sunflowers that I've already harvested, and one's making little sunflowers now. There are some hot peppers growing in that bed, along with beans at each end where the stock-panel arches are. There's asparagus in that bed, too, and a marigold plant or two, a couple of small tomato plants and a volunteer sweet-potato vine. In the background are the PVC pipe tomato cages. I didn't take a closer pic of them because those tomatoes are all dying and I've already torn some of them out.

This is another view of the herb/flower garden. You can see the moonflower volunteers and the morning glories. In the back is the south end of the back porch, where red honeysuckle grows. The hummers love it but I have trouble keeping it wet enough there to keep the flowers going, as I discovered there's concrete about ten inches under the ground there. WHAT were the previous owners THINKING?

These are my baby quince trees Cydonia Oblongata. The cans and wires there are to keep out the neighbor's cats.

This is the first water storage tank. It holds 225 gallons. When it's full, we put the lid on and the downspout back into the drain pipe, where any additional water goes out the back yard and out to the park. This is a sprayer tank bought at Atwood's. When we water the garden from it, we have a small pump that drops down into the top hole that forces the water out through a hose. I tried gravity and it just didn't work for me.

Here's the other tank I bought most recently. It held 300 gallons and I was really happy about that. However, after the last rain that filled it up, it rolled over. Since the lid was on, gravity sucked it into this predicament. The plastic is so heavy we cannot get it back into its original shape so we're trying to decide what to do next. I was really bummed out to discover that this had happened. It was in the shape of a barrel laying on it's side, but apparently it's not stable enough to stay in place without a heavy frame around it. I guess I'll have to buy another mushroom-shaped one and junk this one.

OK, I got us started! Now get out your cameras!

Comments (25)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice photos Ilene. The yard and garden look great.

I love the water storage tanks.

Something like them is on my 'to do' list for 'one of these days'. Don't know when we'll get around to it, though.

Dawn

• elkwc
    14 years ago

Dawn I'm beginning to think your to do list is almost as long as mine.

Ilene,
    A pretty garden and yard. Always enjoy seeing pictures. jay

• Related Discussions

Yard/Garden Pics (pic heavy)

Q

Comments (20)
    Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate your kind comments. I-like-to-grow: Yes, I did make the hosta leaf stepping stones. Here is where I purchased the mold: http://www.moldcreations.com/Hosta-leaf-concrete-or-plaster-mold-1250-p/1250.htm I would love to create more beds in the back, but those very large trees you see are all maples. The hostas planted around the fence are all in spin-out bags. Those can be expensive....lol I wish I could just dig a hole wherever I wanted to plant one and stick it in the ground. I can on the side of the garage, but not in the back. Thanks again!
    ...See More

More pics from my gardens (pic heavy)

Q

Comments (24)
    I know what you mean about staying away from the hosta forum when my hostas are still hiding. It usually just make me even more sad to see hostas up and about when I know mine are usually at least a month behind. I think I suffer from hosta depression during the winter;) Atlantis has been a very fast growing hosta for me. It's in the Abba Dabba family, which for the most part are fast growing. Jen
    ...See More

OK Garden Forum's Garden Pics

Q

Comments (3)
    LOL Owie.. that was hilarious. My husband and son are the coke drinkers *sigh. I take a few sips of coke and put the open can in the fridge. That one squash plant is in bad shape now.. as well as a few others around it in succession. It's spreading. I just wonder if it's in the soil or spread by bugs.. *sigh
    ...See More

Garden pics and my new gardening book

Q

Comments (4)
    Your photos are gorgeous! Certainly looks like the tropics - especially LOVE the Amaranthus.
    ...See More
  • mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Nice photos. Wish I knew how to post pics. I would show you how pretty my Naked Ladies were before the hail destroyed the last batch.

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Well I took several pictures but decided I would only share two. The "street" bed just had a culvert put in about two feet from it so it could use some attention. A huge dog that someone dropped off here decided to sleep in the street bed cannas, the front bed hosta, and the side bed daylillies. They are still trying to recover. One picture is of my fall garden (half planted) and the other is the "plant nursery". It has a couple of new beds, and a LOT of plants that just don't have a home yet. This bed is kind of tucked behind the bunkhouse and I'm glad you can't see it from the street. LOL

After this week the veggie garden will have the addition of a raised bed which will be in the very back part of this picture. I plan to fit it with a hoop so it can be covered for winter greens, and available for the early spring in the event we have our normal spring rains.

This was supposed to be the "year of the yard" but I got a very late start since so much had to be dug up for the new storm shelter/safe room. They moved a lot of dirt in order to reroute the water. Yesterday they trimmed everything off of two cedar trees and will take the trunks down tomorrow. They were on my back lot line, but not the area that is fenced garden.

• ilene_in_neok
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dorothy, here's a link that tells how. I've got instructions printed somewhere. If this isn't clear enough, e-mail me and I'll e-mail you those.

Carol, that's looking great!

Here is a link that might be useful: photo upload instructions

• p_mac
    14 years ago

Ilene - thank you so much for sharing those and answering the question of how to post photos! Your home grounds are lovely. I imagine I could wonder around for hours questioning and maybe gathering a few starts of something!

I have moon flowers too. I saw them down the road for 2 years and finally found 3 small starts at the Norman Farmers marker from a man in Blanchard. They're beautiful...but they get HUGE! I even managed to start several more this year from seed. Gave my BFF in Mississippi 6, passed out 6 more at work and I still need to find a home for 4 more. I've run out of bed space...can't bring myself to throw them away. I've got an herb bed...in a bathtub that Habitat was giving away!

Don't throw out that dented barrel!!! Put it upright and maybe stabilize it with several tall rods of Re-bar. Fill it up with water and maybe the sun's heating will pop out that dent! I'm going to have to check out those tanks at Atwoods or Tractor supply before next year!!! Wonderful idea!

I'm going to shoot some updated pics and sign up on Photoshop too. It'll give my feet & back a rest after working all the cukes, tomatoes and peppers I'm putting up for the winter. LOL More later!

Paula

• scottokla
    14 years ago

Ilene, try putting the lid tight on that tank and take it up to a high pass in Colorado, LOL! It worked on our potato chip bags!

My moon flower was in a bed with one end all to itself. I got a little too greedy trying to see how many flowers I could get in a single night and made the plant too large with all the waterings. It split from high winds and now is dead. It got over 20 flowers on a few nights and was huge. I can get pods off of it (maybe not mature?) or one of the other ones down by the barn where the compost originally came from if anyone wants some seeds.

I appreciate the pictures!

Scott

• ilene_in_neok
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We've tried several ways to get that tank unbent. It's folded up like a fortune-cookie. That's the bottom of the tank that you see in the picture. The round hole where the lid fits, and where we would drop the pump into, is on the other side and the bottom of the tank is actually touching the top, where the round hole is. I might try setting it as upright as I can get it in the other half of the compost bin, where I'm keeping things for the shredder now, and give your suggestion a try, Paula. Though with my luck when it gets water in it, it'll be so heavy that it'll fall over, knock the sides of the compost bin down and crush my Rattlesnake beans and Black soybeans! Yipe! We've jumped on it and banged on it and poked at it and hammered it. We had a devil of a time getting the last of the water out of it because of the big buckle in the middle. DH thought about chaining it to the carport and slipping a 2x4 into the top hole and pulling on that with a chain and his pick-up and I said, "Oh, NO!" I can just SEE that carport come tumbling down. Sometimes when DH fixes something, he tears something else up.

We also thought about taking the SawzAll and cutting it in half and just using it as a large planter. It was so expensive, I just hate to junk it, which would cost about $20 additional and a wait in line at the Landfill. Plus that's not very environmental.

I'm glad y'all are enjoying the pictures. Wish you could be here to walk around. Every spring I have so many little volunteer plants, I'd love to give them homes. I dig up some of them and sell them at my spring garage sale, but that's a lot of work. Of course I have plenty of weeds and grass I'm constantly trying to kill out. I've been using cardboard from a furniture store and wood chips from a local tree trimmer (they won't deliver, though, darn it). I've used all but three bales of my free hay so I'm going to have to find a source for spoiled hay before next summer. No one thing works against this durn Bermuda.

• quailhunter
    14 years ago

Ambrosia on the trellis and two varieties of sweet potatoes next to them. I have picked about 20 melons in the last two weeks. I've got about 25-30 more out there on in various stages of development. I've seen some on here talk about having trouble with melons. I think Ambrosia will make you look like you know what you're doing. Give it a try.

My tomatoes were planted late after all of the May rain. They're just now producing heavily.

My garden about 3 weeks ago.

Picking onions with my helper.

• christopherb
    14 years ago

Great Pics! Thank you all for posting them!

Christopher
    S. OKC

• quailhunter
    14 years ago

I have had a real problem with some baby rabbits lately. I don't mind if they take a little bit, but my 3 German Shorthairs can tell when they've been in my garden. Three big dogs like that can do some damage and you can't make a bird dog stop trailing something it smells. The rabbits like to hide in the sweet potatoes, so the dogs have trampled them a bit. They still look good, but it's frustrating. The only thing in my garden that has been a failure this year was the Lazy Housewife beans. They got mosaic virus so I pulled them. It's been late, but my family and friends have gotten plenty from my garden. Also, that okra really started blooming last week when it turned hot. That's all it was--not hot enough. Hopefully, that's the problem with everyone else's okra. That string on the right side of the garden now has healthy looking squash plants there. Hopefully I'll have some by late Sept or Oct. I threw out some watermelon seed where I had the onions and potatoes. I believe that I'm going to make several by first frost. I have two Fordhooks that are about 10 lbs each. Also several bush sugar babies that are the size of softballs. Overall, a successful garden. Alright everyone, if I used photobucket, you can too. POST THOSE PICS!!!

• slowpoke_gardener
    14 years ago

Great pictures guys.

Ilene, if you can seal the tank you can blow it out to shape. You said something about the top, and dropping in the pump. You may have to make an adapter for that area. I would expext it would take less than 10 psi. to push the tank into position. You would want to stay and watch the tank, or set the regulator on the compressor very low to keep from bursting something. I would think 10 psi would be on the high side of pressure required.

You could use water pressure to push it out but then you have the same thing to worry about, plus all the weight.

If I had a tank like that I might set a 4x4x8' treated post in the ground and strap the tank to it to keep it upright.

Larry

• hiites
    14 years ago

Ilene,
    How about trying a heavy duty, wide (3") ratchet strap around the tank and ratchet it back into shape? I think the hardest part will be keeping the strap in position on the side creases.

• shekanahh
    14 years ago

Here's yet another idea to get that stubborn tank to hold it's shape,(this one's a girlie idea guy's, so don't get offended, lol!). Why not dig a hole and put it in the hole, and then fill it with water? At least it couldn't roll over.

PS: EVERYONE'S garden pics were great. I really enjoyed seeing what y'all are growing and making Oklahoma green and productive. I watched a video the other day where there are now food shortages in Detroit, and folks there are turning to urban gardening. I wish ALL America would garden. It would certainly send the food mongers for a loop!

• ilene_in_neok
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the ideas about the tank. I showed them to DH and he thought the air pressure thing might work, we had even talked about that, as we have a compressor, but we had no idea how many psi to go to. So thanks Larry! I also like the idea of the hole. In fact, that might be the place to leave it if it straightens out. The ratchet strap, I'm not sure I understand how to make that work.

I'm loving these pictures! Quailhunter, that's a wonderful garden. I could never, ever, in a million years, get my garden that neat. Isn't it something how many different ways we all choose to get to the same destination?

C'mon everybody, I need to see more pics! I'm taking a break from canning tomatoes to write this and will be getting back in there in ten more minutes, when it will be time to take my second batch of 7 jars out and prepare the last batch. We got a nice rain yesterday, quite a bit of wind but everything's OK. I hope everyone else is OK, I'll come back on later and read the other posts, including the one about last night's storm.

I was surprised I had so many tomatoes squirrelled away in the freezer. I estimate 21 quarts, and I've cooked them down some. They smell yummy. It always makes me feel a connection to my "foremothers" to can and even though it's a hot, messy job, I enjoy it.

• hiites
    14 years ago

My thought was to go around the tank, at the crease like putting a belt around your waist. Tighten the strap and it will work the outside "points" of the crease in and force the tank back into round.

• ilene_in_neok
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh! Yep, that might work. DH says he doesn't have a ratchet that big and would have to go buy one. He doesn't want to try the hole, but I think that having the tank in a hole would be a great idea after it's straightened out. He's chosen the air pressure and if that doesn't work I bet he'll go buy a ratchet.

You see, we do all need to live closer to one another. If we did, I'd invite you all over for fried chicken and the guys could all go out there with DH, like my dad and his sons-in-law, and gang up on that tank! LOL!

• quailhunter
    14 years ago

Ilene,
    Thank you. There's really no trick to it. Where we live now, I've got enough room to make the space between rows wide enough for a tiller (while the plants are young). I waste a lot of space, but I'm kind of a neat freak, so I prefer to do it this way. We still get way more than we can eat. I share with family and friends. My garden is 30 X 50 with separate beds for 14 tomato plants.

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

OK Quailhunter, tell us how you do it. I want my tomato plants to look like that. They never do.

• quailhunter
    14 years ago

Well, I don't have a special trick. First, they're indeterminate, so they'll keep growing and fruiting. Second, I hit them with miracle gro about once a week early in the growing season, but only feed them occassionally when the plants get big. Those plants in the picture are 7 to 8 feet tall. I have two varieties of big tomatoes. Park's Whopper (my favorite) and Jet Star (first year planting these and not crazy about the plants). I also have a mystery tomato plant that I think may be an Early Girl, but not real sure. Supersweet 100 cherry tomatoes (2 plants). I am sick of cherry tomatoes. If you want lots of cherry tomatoes, plant this one. I'm not big on old heirloom varieties. I am very impatient and don't like to spray, so I pick resistant varieties. You would have a hard time convincing me that there is a better tomato than Park's Whopper for Northeastern Oklahoma. I have tried many. My plants are always this tall. I think the biggest thing is having an indeterminate variety, but not sure. I know there are probably better tasting tomatoes out there, but nobody complains about the taste of mine when I give them away. : )

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Our gardens are anything but picturesque. But here's a picture of a squash I'm trialing this summer. It's a winter squash from NC (Appalachians), called Old Timey Cornfield Pumpkin. According to Rodger Winn, the GW member who sent me the seed, this one has been around for ages and is traditionally planted on the edges of cornfields. It produces fruit of all shapes. So far I've observed round, oblong (like a watermelon), papaya shaped, ridged and smooth skinned fruit. I planted about 8 plants. As you can tell from the pictures, this one is taking over. It's even crowding out my cherry tomatoes and pole beans! Still, this is a "feel good crop" for me. No pests have bothered it and without irrigation it hasn't even wilted (not even once) through our summer heat.

front view

view from the back

In the second photo you can see our hardy banana tree. Jerreth uses the leaves for tamale wrappers.

George

• slowpoke_gardener
    14 years ago

George,

Every thing looks good. Do you get bananas off the tree?
    When I lived in Ft. Smith I grew banana trees. It was sure a lot of work digging them up ea fall and saving the trunks. It took about three years for them to make bananas, and then the summer was too short for them to mature like they should. They were only a conversation piece, I was the only family member dumb enough to eat them.

Larry

• Macmex
    14 years ago

No, this is what they call a Chinese Fiber Banana. Its fruit is not edible/platable. But the leaves work find for tamale wrappers, and... it's pretty. Also, this kind of banana tree doesn't require any special attention to survive. It's hardy in all of the lower states of the USA. It dies down in the winter and comes back from the roots in the spring, reaching over 15' in height by mid summer.

George

• ilene_in_neok
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boy, those must be some huge tamales Jerreth makes! LOL

I've always wanted to make tamales, as I love them but if I made them I'd use less fat so they probably wouldn't taste right. There used to be a man in Bartlesville who would set up a stand on the corner somewhere. My Dad would buy from him on his way home from work. We didn't get to "eat out" in those days so it was a real treat for Dad to bring those home. Of course that was years and years ago and I'm sure the man probably died before I started working in Bartlesville in the early 1980's. That or they quit allowing him to sell on the corner.

That's a nice looking pumpkin patch, I'll be interested to hear how they taste. If they all look different from one another, I imagine they taste different from one another, too? Do the seeds all look the same? I'm still watching my one little Warsaw Buff pumpkin. It changed color but I noticed that it has some faint green streaks in the buff so I held off picking it.

Larry, my Dad had a paw-paw tree that would make maybe one or two small paw-paws every year. He was so proud of that and he would eat those paw-paws all himself, cutting them up in his hand with his trusty pocket-knife. This was back in the days when no self-respecting man would be caught without a pocket-knife in his pocket. I think it would've gone gang-busters if he had planted a second one, to polinate.

Quailhunter, I do love the heirloom tomatoes and the fact that I can save the seed but if I continue to have as much trouble with disease as I have had last year and this year, I may consider going to the more disease-resistant hybrids myself. I may buy a pack of those Whopper seed and give them a try.