SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palm_shade

Spider Mite (red?)

Palm_shade
10 years ago

Hi im having abit of a problem with mites atm on my ficus, I keep finding small webbing joing a few leaves here and there but I only really see a few pale specs on the web if anything, never red spider or never more than a couple on the tree, the ficus is benjamina and about 1.5 m tall, im also finding on average about 5 little cotton balls about 1mm on the under side of leaves sometimes on the trunk and sometimes on the top of leaves each time I look which is about 1ce a day, I get rid of them, are they eggs?
Ive been treating the tree with a 10ml solution of cooking oil and washing up liquid per ltr. I spray about twice a day and I have been for around a week, I seem to be finding slightly less activity but im still finding new webs and the odd cotton ball.
Does this sound like red spider mite or another mite and am I doing anything with my solution apart from appearing to slightly slow activity?
Do I need a more powerful solution maybe?

I should add I bout some ivy from the same place as the ficus at the same time about 2 months ago and under light I noticed the ivy was covered in what im seeing on my ficus, they were more like white/gray mites. I disgarded the ivy right away and up untill recently only started seeing activity on my ficus.

Comments (8)