SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettylu_zone6a

My 8' cuttng has rooted, has one leaf... now what?

bettylu_zone6a
14 years ago

Last fall I was given a Plumeria and Brugmansia cutting to try to root. The Brug rooted fairly quickly and is already a cute little plant - But up until a week or so ago, I thought the Plumeria wasn't rooting.

I am happy to see that I was wrong, and it has indeed rooted (there is about a 3/4" little white root coming out of the hole in the bottom of the 6" clay pot) and I have one leaf about 3" long with more buds swelling. So here are my questions;

Obviously I need to pot up, since it is escaping out of the bottom, but how much bigger do you think I should go?

Do plumies like clay pots, ceramic, fiberglass or what?

Also, I have no idea of the size and shape of a young plumeria... will I need to prune it from the beginning or will it stay smallish for a while and how soon will it bloom?

The only Plumeria I have seen up close and personal, were the really large ones at the plant swap where I got the cuttings (they were nearly too tall to bring inside the house). Having plants that you put outside for the summer and winter over inside is new to me... I mostly have a regular outdoor garden with a mix of perennials and annuals. I do love the tropicals, though, and this could be the start of a new hobby. Last year I also received two banana cuttings that I was able to successfully overwinter in my sunroom, hopefully that will work for the Plumeria too!

Thanks in advance for any info and wisdom you can pass along!

BettyLu

Comments (6)