SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

Green Country Seed Saving Network, first meeting

Macmex
10 years ago

Just want to share this. I know most of you live too far away. Still, I think this is exciting, and, of course, anyone here would be more than welcome to come out.

George
Tahlequah, OK

--------------------------------------------

If you live near Northeastern Oklahoma (or if you would like to travel just a bit):
Sunday at 2:00 PM we'll be meeting for the very first time to launch Green Country Seed Savers Network. We'll just get a table or two at Napolis Italian Restaurant, 901 S. Muskogee Ave., Tahlequah, Oklahoma. In the future, hopefully we can come up with place which is both free and doesn't, for etiquette's sake, require that a person order something.
The broad picture of what we'd like to do, is establish a network, or community of gardeners in the region, who help one another to find, propagate and distribute useful crops which do well in our climate. Of course, this will involve a good deal of education, to help gardeners learn how to reproduce and share these crops. Just a few areas to be learned are: how to produce pure seed, how to process seed for the coming year(s) and how to grow the crops.
The possibilities for seed saving are great. I love the old traditional crops offered by seed savers: beans, tomatoes and squash. But one can learn to reproduce such things as herbs, flowers, root crops such as carrots and beets, Jerusalem artichokes, broccoli, cabbage, chard; even Irish potatoes! Currently I'm working on a guide which deals with four food crops which grow as easily as weeds. Some of these crops are are actually considered to be weeds. But their flavor and nutritional value make them quite worth our attention!
I was a member of The Seed Savers Exchange for 25 years. The SSE publishes a book, every winter, with listings of those offering seeds and plant material along with descriptions of what what they are offering. Unfortunately, membership in the SSE is costly. The SSE, also, in my opinion, is not reaching out on a grass roots level as much I would like. I'm thinking we can be less centralized, more relational and do what we need to do either via Internet or personal meetings. We have a lot to do to define and organize. But I truly would like to develop a group which trains, equips and motivates people, on a grass roots level, to both grow more of their own food, and also maintain and share seeds and plant material, so that others can improve their lives as well. If we organize right, I hope eventually to see spin off groups serving other regions and climates.
So, as we first meet. Let's be thinking about how to organize and operate our first seed exchange. Think about how to share with others without exhausting your supply of seeds for everybody and their uncle's "shopping list." How can we share without it costing us so much that it becomes cost prohibitive?
We're working on getting an Internet forum and FAQ page set up. Via forum, FAQ and actual meetings, we can educate and motivate.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths