SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilene_in_neok

Need Germination Tips for Okla. August

ilene_in_neok
14 years ago

I'm afraid my fall garden is not going so well.

I planted black soybeans in one end of a raised bed where I had to yank out some tomato plants, and considering the amount of seed I planted, they've made a very poor showing. I go out a couple of times every day and water the few that germinated, and each time I do, they're wilted. I have a scattering of hay over the surface but I can't add more mulch because there may be more of the seed trying to germinate and I don't think they'll make it through if I put any more stuff on the surface.

I soaked beet and turnip seed. The turnip germinated in the water overnight. So guess I learned a lesson there. When I planted the beet seed, I covered a couple of the rows with 2x4's, checked every morning, and when I saw seedlings starting to poke their heads out, I removed the 2x4's. Then the sun came out and baked them to death. The other rows I covered with some hay, but I guess I got it too thick there because nothing has come up. I've been watering there twice a day, and each time I water, the soil looks dry. With my tomato plants, I planted the seed in little peat pellets. All the seed germinated and looked really good. When their little roots started coming through the peat pellet, I planted them with a toothpick, as someone suggested, but 90% of them fell over and died. I think the hot, dry wind just dehydrated them. Truly, getting seed to germinate this time of year is maybe more challenging than I'm up to. I'm really, REALLY, sick of watering, trying to un-wilt the things that have survived, and trying to keep the soil moist enough where nothing has come up yet. We keep getting promises of rain and then none falls, or not enough to matter.

So how are those of you in hotter, dryer parts of the state getting things to germinate? I think now it's too late for me in zone 6a/b to plant anything because our frost date is earlier than in other parts of the state, but it'd be nice to know for next year.

Comments (5)