SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noinwi

un-happy 'medium'?

18 years ago

Ok, due to finances, I ended up using a generic bag of indoor/outdoor potting soil(bought at end of season last year)to start my pepper and tomato seeds. When I opened the bag, it was a bit heavy(sand and clay), so I mixed in some left over jiffy mix from last year. It lightened it up quite a bit. I had soaked all my seeds overnight in weak (green)tea water. I planted them in various cell packs and placed the packs in aluminum cake pans with plastic lids. I'd punched holes in the sides of the pans for ventilation. I put the mater seeds on the fridge at pretty much room temperature(low 70's), and the pepper seeds on our old computer monitor, which keeps the soil temp around 86-87 degrees. I've been taking the covers off at least once a day for a half hour or so and when I do, the soil smells a little musty. I've seen no mold or fungus, and I originally watered the packs with weak chamomile water. I know the soil is moist, but the top of the soil keeps getting hard and dry, so I've been misting it lightly just to soften it before I put the covers back on. Is this still too much moisture? Is the soil still too dense? How do I find that "happy medium"? I ran the tip of a toothpick very lightly over the soil to loosen it a bit. It's been 5 days and I haven't seen any sprouting at all. I understand peppers take a little longer, but no maters yet, either. The seeds came from 3 different sources. Am I being too anxious(neurotic)?

Comments (8)

Sponsored