SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

A Pecan/Acorn Question For Scott & Others

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

Scott (and any others knowledgable about nuts),

I have green husks on my native pecans, so presumably, there are nuts inside of there????? Do you know how much rainfall it would take for the nuts to fill out? I'm not so worried about pecans for us, but for the wildlife because I don't know what they'll eat this winter, and we have oodles of wildlife.

I know the acorn crop is going to be sparse, because most of my oak trees were hit with severe freezes right around or right after they bloomed. Pecans, though, bloom a little later and I can't remember if they had formed nuts before the last 2 late freezes occurred in late April and early May. If my trees weren't going to make pecans, would the husks have formed? I know that some years I have had pecan husks and shells, but the nuts didn't fill out and I can't remember if that was in years with a late freeze or drought or what.

I already have up to 10 deer per day (including the most darling set of little spotted twin fawns that are too cute for words) cruising the yard looking for food and water, and tons of squirrels as well. If there isn't a good mast crop for them this fall, what in the world will they eat this winter???? My shrubs? I hope not.

I am an "accidental" pecan grower. We didn't plant any of the pecan trees, but have a few dozen native ones scattered around the acreage and most years we just leave the nuts for the wildlife, although in a year with a huge crop, we gather some and have them cracked and blown.

Dawn

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting