SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigoledude

Want fruity peppers for HOT sauce!!

bigoledude
15 years ago

Just recently, my son accidentally bought the "Habenero" Tabasco sauce instead of the old regular Tabasco sauce. Now I don't much like anything else. The back label says that the sauce contains mango and papaya. That fruitiness is one of the things I like so much about it. Now, all of the lesser expensive hot sauces that once was just fine with me, taste bitter or like vinegar.

I've read many posts here where some of you pepper-heads just take bites out of habeneros and bhuts! Call me a wuss if you like but, I just can't do it! I could handle a sauce hotter than this Habenero Tabasco but not MUCH hotter!

I am planting more peppers this year than I've ever grown before and, would like to experiment making my own hot sauce.

I notice that most seed companies' commentary on the Habeneros and Scotch Bonnets claim a certain "sweetness or fruitiness" to them. Are there any other HOT peppers that have that particular flavor characteristic?

I noticed over in the "Harvest Forum" that many people use peaches, mangoes and other fruit to sweeten their hot sauce. I would like to start with hot peppers that are somewhat on the sweet side already and, experiment from there.

Comments (4)

Sponsored