SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilene_in_neok

Your favorite websites

ilene_in_neok
15 years ago

On Devilwoman's post re Questions About Molasses, the topic got around to ordering online. (I just love how the topic seems to change around to other things on this forum, it makes me read ALL the posts!) But it got me thinking how cool it would be for us to share our favorite websites, for shopping and for other purposes.

Of course, I love Amazon.com. Not only does it do free shipping, but there are reviews of the product on almost everything. Sometimes, if you apply for a credit card, you get $30 off. I did this once and when the credit card came, I found I had to activate it before they would send me a bill. After I paid the bill, I cancelled the card, because I didn't need it and I don't like to have open accounts that I'm not going to use. But it was worth the savings of $30. I buy used textbooks there, as well. DGS used to use the excuse, "BUT I didn't bring my book home!!" Now, when school starts, I just copy down the ISBN and do a search on Amazon and I can usually get the books pretty cheap and they're really handy to have at home. At the end of the school year, I donate the book to the school. They always need extra books.

I also like to go to www.bulkfoods.com. They always have "specials", and if you order $75 the postage is free. I love their dried fruit and I buy my oatmeal and cocoa there. If you can get several friends to go in with you you can get a better price, as the larger quantities work out to be cheaper per pound than the smaller ones. I've always been pleased with what I got.

I like to go to www.davesgarden.com. Mostly I use the PlantSearch. It's rare that there isn't information on a particular plant. I used it a lot last winter when I was getting seed from people to wintersow. People upload their pictures and they write reviews of what they think of the plant. There's information about how tall they get, what kind of growing conditions they like and, if they're perennial, at what zone they must be grown as an annual. I think this website, in order to use all the functions and be able to post, you have to be a member. I'm not, but I still get a lot of good from this site just by using the PlantSearch part.

I also really like Cornell University's bird library at www.birds.cornell.edu/allaboutbirds that someone on this forum shared with me when I was trying to identify my little house wrens. I especially like that it shows what their nest and eggs look like and if you have a soundcard on your computer you can even hear what their call sounds like. It's much better than the sutton website, but that's nice, too, if you are interested in Oklahoma birds. www.suttoncenter.org.

Then of course there are a couple Dawn has shared with me, Mesonet for good dependable weather information.

www.thefreshloaf.com is a really interesting website for those interested in baking bread. I think someone on the harvest gardenweb forum recommended that. And of course I'm fond of www.allrecipes.com even though they have a lot of pop-ups. The reviews are really interesting. They tinker with the recipe and make it better. And if it's nasty, they say so.

I'll probably think of more as time goes along. What are your faves? --Ilene

Comments (8)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional