SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brittb_gw

Tomatoes won't blossom :(

BrittB
12 years ago

This is my first year as a successful gardener... and by that I mean less than 50% of what I planted died, lol. This year I grew about 30 tomato plants from seeds, which I thought was an amazing accomplishment since my mom can't even do that and she's like a gardening goddess. I gave half to her, and the rest remain with me. I started them in early March, so most of them are pretty big. They're all in large pots since I live in an apartment and don't have enough room in the ground. I've babied these things so much to make sure they survived. I've given them good soil, fertilizer specific to tomatoes, and just enough water to keep them from getting droopy. Yet after all this time they haven't produced one bloom. None of them. I work at Lowe's in the garden center and I see these little tiny tomato plants half dead and half the size with tomatoes already on them - what gives?

Today I pruned them lightly. I took off 2 arms off each one, hoping maybe a little stress might encourage them. Their water, like I said, is just enough to keep them from getting wilted and I dare not give them any less with how hot it's been and since the air conditioner units outside blow even more hot air onto them.

My mom says that her grandmother used to actually whip them lightly with a switch or wire, or anything about that size, but I'm just afraid it would damage them too much, and I don't know if that's true or just an old farmer's myth.

Please help! I would actually like to enjoy the fruit of my labor this season!

Comments (14)