SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilene_in_neok

Help identifying tomato disease

ilene_in_neok
15 years ago

I should be putting up peaches but I'm too busy obsessing about my tomato plants. I had this last year for the first time. That was the year we had so much rain, and of course this year we've had a lot of rain from spring on through June, although it's down to raining only about once a week now and probably will dry up altogether if it's anything like last year. The plants start out great, bloom and set on lots of fruit. The fruit is normal. Then, about mid-July, the foliage begins to yellow at the bottom. Then the side-branches start to turn yellow and die. I can go out and break off the side-shoots and remove all the yellow leaves, and the vines try to send out a new branch, but the main branch it comes off of eventually turns brown and dries up so it is short-lived. The plant does not set on much fruit, and what it set on last year after this started happening was small and deformed. I've looked at pictures and I just don't see anything that looks like this. What do I have and how do I get rid of it? I just came in from cutting two plants all the way to the ground. I thought I'd plant my little plants I started for fall tomatoes in their place but I'm afraid of spreading whatever this is.

Comments (7)