SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
royalpaulm

Central Florida Heat Island Effect (Warning: Graphic Photos)

royalpaulm
13 years ago

I was out in Clermont, Lake County Florida (a.k.a. Freeze Country) this afternoon for the first time since the freezes this past winter. All I can say is what a difference between urban Orlando/Orange County to the Lake County area 15-20 miles to the west.

The first photo was a former planting of Roystonea (Royal Palms). It looks like they've been completely wiped out. These palms are by South Lake Hospital at Highway 50 and Citrus Tower Blvd atop a large hill - a year ago these palms looked fantastic. All of the Roystonea that I see near my house in Windermere (Orlando) are in pretty good shape. This reaffirms that Orlando and Clermont cannot both be classified as the same zone (9b).

Some other photos were taken around the Four Corners area of Clermont (where Lake, Osceola, Polk, and Orange Counties all meet). Queens, Washies, Roebies, Coconuts, all either dead or very heavily fried. Yes, QUEENS AND WASHIES - the "Mainstay" palms of Central Florida were SEVERELY damaged! Last I heard of this was in 1989 during the "great freeze".

The next and final set are palms near my home around Orlando. All are moderately damaged, but should survive without a doubt (especially the Roystonea). Notice the vast difference in just 15 miles.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County