SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chad_emrick

My new Washingtonia Robusta!

chad_emrick
15 years ago

Hi, I'm Chad. I'm fifteen, and have an odd obsession with palms. However, I'm sure around here it won't be considered as odd haha. The only problem with my love of palms, is that I live in Fulton County New York. That would land me in zone 5b, and pretty much no palm will live here. Thats why I've resorted to container growing! I chose a washingtonia robusta because they are a fast growing palm that doesn't require much humidity. I bought a 3 gallon one off of ebay for ten dollars. I just recieved it today, and I have some questions.

1) Do you guys think it will thrive inside? (I plan on moving to Florida in two years once I am old enough to move out, so I will be able to plant it in the ground eventually.)

2) Do you think it will grow too tall in the two years its going to be inside before I can move to Florida? I have no idea about the growth rates of these palms, just that they are considered fast growing.

3) It was shipped to me last Wednesday from Florida, and it was stuck in the a box over the weekend. The weather is is unusually cold for may, with temperatures around 50 degrees during the day. Do you think the lack of light and coldness has harmed it? There is a little yellowing on the fronds, which is hard to see in the picture I enclosed.

I have attached a picture of my new palm.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022