SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karlieb_gw

Not quite in Oklahoma but some pest questions

Karlieb
11 years ago

Hi, I live in Pittsburg, KS but I grew up in the area around Miami (Miamuh) in the Northeast. Also, I am having some pests that I think ya'll are familiar with.

I have red spidermites and squash bugs. I think the mite battle is mostly lost for this year (even hosing plants down with water daily) and the squash bugs are kind of just ramping up but I'm keeping them down somewhat.

Meh, I'm rambling.

My question is: what can I do over winter that will hinder them from having large populations at the beginning of next year?

And here's one that I'm sure is hopeless but: I live in a neighborhood where people grow squash and let the SVBs kill them so now I have many of them flying in from all over laying hundreds (not an exaggeration) of eggs on my melons and squash. What can I do to alleviate this nightmare?

These SVBs have been active here since May 15th and haven't stopped and my plants are now too big (and it's way too hot) for me to search them every day. Though I do like seeing the borers that died before they could get into my 'Long of Naples' moschata. ;)

Comments (10)