SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunslight

8 months and still no roots--water medium

17 years ago

Eight months, eight long months of having my Plumeria cutting in water, trying to get it to put out roots. It does have three leaves, the longest, about 1 1/2 inches, but no roots.

I followed the instructions on another forum dedicated to Plumerias--where some were touting water rooting as the way to go. Obviously, it hasn't worked for me.

I've had the cutting, suspended above the bottom of a qt. jar of water that has a drop of Spray-n-gro in it. I change the water. The jar is on a heating pad, set at low. There is a light, set for 16 hours on, then off.

I've started all kinds of cuttings before--water (which I don't really like to do, because the roots have a different structure than in a mix), soilless mix. all my water started veggies and flowers have taken off in no more than a week--but this thing--what in the world is going on?

The entire cutting is now beginning to feel a bit mushy--not totally but apply a little pressure and it gives easily--it's not like it was when I got it. Of course I'd be mushy too, if I've been standing in water for 8 months.

Tonight, I took it out of the water and decided to try a mix: 2 pts. Perlite + 1 pt peat (I suppose that is by volume and not weight?). I read that instead of the peat, I can use top-soil. I have some of that, but hesitate to use anything that isn't at least close to sterile. I also, have some agricultural vermiculite. any preferences as to the mix?

I'm going to pot the bottom 4" of it in a 1 gal. container. Put rooting hormone on the bottom, water it in and see what happens.

with the mushyness, I cut away 1/2 " of the bottom to see if there was any rot. No--the inside is beautiful, white. So, maybe, it still has a chance.

Should I wait to let the bottom callous, as in a soft-wood cutting (rose) or use the fresh cut and dip that in the rooting compound?

People have stay with the water but use superthrive. A few people said they got great results with the spray-n-gro, obviously, the latter has not worked.

What do you think? Stick with water and get superthrive for it or go ahead with a Soilless mix or one that has a bit of topsoil in it--I could use sand too, as well as vermiculite.

I sure am envious of the people who say their water starting gave roots in a week.

I hope this won't be my 1st and last Plumeria. But unless I can get roots going before it goes totally mushy and/or the top leaves fall off, it may well be.

Your ideas on anything that will help: stay with water; use superthrive; callous; soilles or mix with topsoil, heat, light--anything that may help will really be appreciated.

And here, I thought I knew how to root cuttings!

Let's get this living, if we can--and one final thought, while waiting for roots should I mist the leaves on top?

Thanks,

Bob

Comments (3)