SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
va_canuck

Coconut germinating after only 3 weeks

va_canuck
15 years ago

I have seen other people posting about their successes/failure germinating coconuts and just thought I would share my (albeit short) experience.

Bought 2 coconuts and looked them over carefully for obvious damage or deep cuts. Both had loads of milk inside. One of them had what I thought was possible germination already (one of the eyes was bulging out and was soft, but was brown). I buried them halfway in the soil, eyes facing straight up. I put one in a cupboard with a desk lamp (temp = about 100 F) and the other outside (been mostly 70-80 here lately).

The one with the bulging eye soon rotted (white fungus, eye popped out revealing a hole, and then a squirrel somehow took the stinky thing away!). But the one in the cupboard has, after only 3 weeks, pushed a new whitish/cream colored growth out one of the eyes. Success! (so far).

I'm happy with this for a first try. Forgive if this seems awfully amateur-ish, but I had seen some posts from people who had tried and tried and tried and always failed with coconuts and thought I would share this.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County