SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

Seedling temps?

jamie_mt
16 years ago

Greetings! I'm going to be starting peppers from seed this year for the first time...just waiting to get my greenhouse insulated so I can heat it at night (1st week of March). I was going to heat it to 55 degrees (for tomatoes, bell peppers, & eggplant seedlings), but it seems that reading here, hot peppers need around 60 degrees for the seedlings to grow out at. I'll be germinating all my seeds inside (70 degrees normal temps, warmer over electrical equipment & aquarium lids), and then I want to get them straight out to the greenhouse once they're up to grow on (because I really have no room to set up lights, etc). I do have a huge southern window they can temporarily sit in a pinch, but I'm sure the greenhouse would be better for light and circulation.

So is 60 degrees the lowest hot pepper seedlings can handle? Or would they do okay at 55 with the rest of my veggies? I can heat the greenhouse to 60 if need be, I'm just trying to use as little energy as possible on the heating side (for overnight...the greenhouse will be plenty warm during the day with just the sun).

I have some jalapeno seeds ordered, and a few others I can't remember how to spell just now (a hot pepper seedling kit I thought looked like fun at Lowes the other day).

Thanks for any help/suggestions...I haven't started anything yet, because I want to wait until I know the greenhouse will be ready, but I would like to get things going early this year for a good start! :-)

Comments (6)

Sponsored