SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shekanahh

Growing Watercress under the Bird Bath

shekanahh
14 years ago

I have a leaky garden spigot at my place, that my DS in a busman holiday mood has totally ignored. This had been frustrating to say the least, and sort of a waste of water and money- until one day when I was at a produce market and came across some lovely watercress in a cellophane wrap with the roots still attached. Since I adore watercress, but would rather grow than buy, I DID buy this one package, took it home and planted it in a jardenaire including the little side pockets, gave it a shot of fertilizer and sat it under the bird bath which was overflowing from the dripping spigot. Needless to say, the watercress responded and began doing what watercress does-multiplying like crazy! I let this batch go to seed this summer, and now I have baby watercress growing in the jardenaire-and- all around the base of the bird bath and surrounding area. All from one batch of rather expensive packaged watercress from the grocery produce counter. That's what I call a real deal!

Anyways, now, I am trying to figure out a way to keep this alive and producing this winter. If anyone has some ideas, I would love to hear them.

I am thinking in terms of a cold frame, and also ways to keep organic salad greens and other things alive and growing right in the soil this winter so I can enjoy fresh vegetables including root veggies.

This is all rather new to me, but the more I read here and online, I am beginning to see the possiblities of a year round garden! But-newbie that I am, I need some advice, since I've never attempted cold frame growing before. I can sort of envision a long row with all sorts of root veggies and salad greens, with perhaps a floating row cover over a hoop arrangement. Since DS does not eat anything wholesome and fresh, (unfortunately), this row -hopefully- would provide enough for my personal needs.

Help please!

Barbara

Comments (4)