SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chefgumby

My dog ate my watermelon

chefgumby
13 years ago

Well, in my brand new garden space this year(20'x16') I've made room for all the tomatoes I can handle and some watermelons, hot peppers, zucchini, herbs, and eggplant. Trying to go for most produce per plant, ya know?

Everything was going so well this year. Possibly my best garden ever! I direct-seeded some Blacktail Mountain (thanks Dawn!), C.S. White Flesh, and Yellow Sugar Lump watermelons from Sandhill Preservation Center on May 1st. They were slow-going at first, but seemed to take off once the temps and humidity rose. Needless to say my small garden is now 3/4 tomatoes and watermelons! I'm using the cage and pantyhose method for the Yellow Sugar Lump and C.S. White Flesh. Vertical growing for watermelons is the way to go! However, I let the Blacktail Mountain sprawl, and this is where the problem lies.

I caught my stupid dog yesterday with her face in a tomato plant (she crawled under the garden fence) gnawing away at an almost-ripe Cherokee Purple tomato. When I went out to shoo her away, I realized something was wrong. I had a half-dozen or so Cherokee Purples that were about to break color and they were all missing. Well, of course they were scattered about the yard, half-chewed and nearly breaking color. When I inspected the Blacktail Mountain vine, it was missing it's grapefruit-sized fruit.

It's not like I don't feed my stinkin' dog!

That dumb dog had eaten the unripe melons and half-eaten the Cherokee Purple tomatoes! There was also a half-eaten cucumber in the yard. Several Crimson Cushion tomatoes had teethmarks in them. I ended up planting way more late season varieties than I realized and I haven't even had a ripe, big tomato yet. I have lots of cherries, though. And a lot of green tomatoes on the windowsill turning red.

I've planned this garden for three years, worked the soil, killed the bermuda grass, turned the compost pile.

I pelted that stupid dog with those half-eaten tomatoes. Sorry.

Still, I know those Cherokee Purples would be on the kitchen counter right now and that Blacktail Mountain melon would be ready by vacation time (Aug.3) As it stands, my dumb dog is winning the war this year. Along with the stinkbugs, grasshoppers, and fruitworms. Never had much of a fruitworm problem till this year. Lots of stupid stink bugs on the tomatoes.

Lots of squash bugs on our two zucchini plants. Also found several Squash Vine Borers. Those are gross. I handle raw meat in my trade and SVB are just plain gross.

I can handle chicken guts, fish parts, dressing wild game, cleaning organs and the like. But...Squash Vine Borers are grosser. Muyi grosser.

Here's what I have after grasshoppers, cutworms, damping-off, and various trouble:

5: Crimson Cushion Tomatoes, doing great in spite of heat

5: Cherokee Purple, doing great in spite of dog. About 40 or so to replace those taken by dog.

1: Sweet 100; My wife's favorite plant.

2: Green Grape; planted for fall.

3: Yellow Sugar Lump watermelons. Best so far. Largest is grapefruit size.

1: Blacktail Mountain.

1: C.S. White Flesh. Not a lot of female flowers.

3: Genovese Zucchini. I hate Squash Vine Borers. I'd rather eat deep-fried Squash bugs than dig out SVB with a bamboo skewer.

2: Listadia de Gandia eggplant. I can use of a lot of eggplant. It's been 12 years since I've grown eggplant. From what I remember, disease and bugs love it. Can't wait.

2: Aconcagua sweet red peppers. Sandhill Preservation.

2: Red Thai Chili: Baker Creek. I transplanted these about April 25th and just now saw the first bloom.

So, last year my two-year old son picked off every marble-sized green tomato he could find. I ended up with one tomato total last year. In 2008 I had at least several dozen. This year it's that dumb dog.

I plan on combating the squash bugs, japanese beetles, hornworms, aphids, stinkbugs (grrrgh), and grasshoppers. I didn't expect to have to safeguard my garden from man's best friend.

I feel like I can't win! But, the more you persevere

the more you accomplish. Sometimes "the long run" is longer than we like.

Dale OKC

Comments (10)