SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicar64

What is cutting the leaves off my young kale, brocolli, etc.?

jessicar64
13 years ago

In my raised bed is a row of kale, followed by a row of broccoli, followed by a row of lettuce, and finally a row of radishes. On the two sides, perpendicular to the main rows, are cilantro and arugula.

A few weeks back something started chopping leaves off the kale. The kale was about 8" tall at the time, still young, with probably 8-12 2-3" leaves per plant). The critter(s) started eating in the middle of the row, working their way left and right. I would come out in the morning to find kale leaves all around, as if someone simply bit them off at the stem. Once the kale leaves were mostly gone, the critter(s) started on the broccoli leaves. Same M.O. Though occasionally I would find a small pile of the leaves a few inches away from any plant. Now that the kale and broccoli are bare stems, the critter(s) seem to be going after the lettuce, which is (was!) midsize and quite healthy (I've been harvesting leaves off the lettuce for weeks.) I am baffled. I see no signs of any kind of bugs. With the kale and broccoli I couldn't tell if anything was actually being eaten, as there just seemed to be a ton of leaf litter. The lettuce is definitely being eaten - 1/2 a head at a time (though I did find a pile of 5-8 leaves in the corner of the garden bed tonight.) The raised beds are completely covered with 1/2" bird netting (to keep out the squirrels and chickens) so whatever is getting in must be pretty small. Any ideas? We don't have mice here, but we do have rats, though I don't think they can get through the netting and the netting doesn't have any holes chewed in it.

So far the arugula, cilantro, and radishes haven't been touched...

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!