SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucidgrower

Semi-Arid: Gardening Under Trees

LucidGrower
11 years ago

I'm looking to create a low maintenance permaculture inspired landscape in Austin Tx. Here is some of the climate info:

- ~32'/yr rainfall, pretty evenly spread out

- Awful summertime heat (90 days in 2011 over 100F)

- Rarely freezes (only a couple of times/yr max)

- Average relative humidity is between 70-80%

- Month long droughts are common

The challenges in this landscape are the very high temperatures combined with only moderate rainfall. Plants often have to fight high temperatures by evaporating water to keep cool, so really both of these challenges are connected. I'm going to be using quite a few strategies to capture & make the best use of rainfall. One strategy that I'm looking at is:

Partially shading vegetable gardens with trees. (Think tree surrounded by a 'C' shaped vegie garden)

- Shade will reduce soil and air temperature for plants underneath

- Shade tree should be pruned to a degree that the shade is only partial and the garden underneath gets all the light it needs

- Shade tree should be a variety that doesn't perspire much, uses very little water & is drought tolerant

- Root system of the shade tree shouldn't be too competitive with garden, root system shouldn't invade the garden (This seems to be the difficult point, most of the really good desert survivors have really aggressive roots)

- Any food born by shade tree is a plus but optional

- Nitrogen fixing is a plus but optional

- Deciduous to make for a good winter growing season

I have seen that most successful arid farms use some kind of shading for gardens, but I haven't seen trees used frequently. Has anyone done this? What are the dangers? What trees work well?

So far, the chilean mesquite seems like a great candidate, but I'm worried that it might compete too aggressively with garden plants.

Comments (2)

Sponsored