SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stylus_gw

Can Coconuts Grow Successfully Indoors (Bright Light)

stylus
17 years ago

I went to the Osh on the corner of Fallbrook and Victory in the San Fernando Valley area of SoCal.

They had two 10 gallon Coconut Palms for only $ 24.99 each. These are the biggest Coconuts I've ever seen for sale in any of our local hardware/garden stores. One of them has three fully opened dark green fronds. Usually, we only see those tiny little Coconut Palms with two or three strappy looking baby fronds for $ 30 plus.

They almost look like Kentia's because their fronds are so lush. large and dark looking.

My question is: Can Coconut Palms be successfully grown indoors if given bright filtered light next to a window?

These look great in my livingroom against my bright white dry wall interior. Indoors I can control the temperature (more or less) and can mist them to increase humidity. I almost NEVER use my central heat so I'm not worried about drying out the fronds too much. I leave my south facing windows open during the day to allow for fresh outdoor air to permeate the house anyways.

I'm only concerned because I read so many journals that insist Coconuts require full sun. I'm not worried about them ever fruiting. I just want them to do well without the yellowing or dried out tips.

I realize eventually, if successful, they'll be too big to leave indoors. At that time, I'll probably be back on this board asking for more advice!

Take Care!

PS: I'm going to call Osh back and see if they'll be getting some more huge ones that I can buy for some of my friends.

Comments (3)