SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
applebuilder

Soil Solarization... Good or Bad?

applebuilder
14 years ago

I first came across permaculture while researching organic methods and have since become very interested in its philosophy. I'v starting to move more and more towards gardening methods that promote natural and balanced eco systems but that move has also left me undecided on the subject of Soil Solarization. On one hand it's on the forefront of organic methods and while I have not researched the topic extensively, there seems to be many merits towards its use. I have a tendency to reference gardening methods to how people in early history used to do it, as a way of understaning how its use came about. What's so appealing about permaculture to me is it seems to resemble people's abilities to observe and use natural processes in a balanced way. Instinctively, Solar Solarization doesn't seem natural (boosting sun's effects), but before I learned about permaculture it seemed like a very appealing alternative to chemical soil treatment. In reading about no-tilling methods I've come to learn that while something may be organic, it might not be good for the balance of an ecosystem. So rather than spending hours online trying to determine whether Solarization is good or bad, I thought that I'd get the firsthand opinion of a Permaculturist. There might be a wide array of mixed opinions, but that's what I'm looking for. With the diverse range of reasoning as to why Soil Solarization is good or bad I'll be able to look at and study the different angles so that I can decide for myself what makes sense. Thanks.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider