SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shiao_gw

another newbie question...

shiao
18 years ago

Hi everyone: well, the little umbrellas came yesterday from Cricket Hill and they are great. They are indeed very pretty placed next to my baby tree peonies, and they help to shade the plants from excessive sun in the afternoon. But I have another question for you...

I measured my plants and they are separated from each other stalk to stalk at about 3 feet apart. Is this too close for them? I am thinking that if they do grow up, then they might be a bit crowded. Given the size of my little garden, this is all the space available, because a Jane Magnolia is planted 8 feet away on the left and I cannot get the bed any farther away. The otherside abutts the walkway. If they are planted too close, I could take one of the four tree peonies out of the bed and plant it somewhere else...but given our temp, which is already into the low 90's and humid, I am wondering if the risk of further shock would outweigh the benefit. If I were to remove one of the 4 plants, I could also move the plant that is left in the middle into the center, thus creating a bit more room for the three that is left in the little garden. I know that the tree peonies are deep rooted species, and they should only be pruned lightly...but is there any harm if I do prune only the sides so that they dont mangle each other?...and maybe leave the front and back to grow as they wish? what should I do?...the season is late for moving them, I think. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Comments (4)