SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhelt100

Indoor plant growing well, but no flowering

rhelt100
15 years ago

This summer was the first year I got in to attempting to grow my own peppers. I planted a batch of "mixed hot pepper" seeds around the middle of the summer and got a few peppers off of each before the cold set in. One plant from the batch grew very slowly and was only about 1/4th of the size of the others despite being in the same location and getting the same care as the others. I took this one plant to work around the middle of october to have something green on my desk and provide some "atmosphere".

Since I moved it to work, it's grown to about 12 inches tall, with three branches. It seems perfectly healthy except for one thing. The initial flowering that I'm used to seeing happened, but the flower fell off within a few days. Since then, every time a new "node" grows where a it would eventually flower and produce a pepper, the new growth turns brown almost immediately and falls off. The result is what seems to be a rather robust pepper plant that produces no peppers.

Any idea what could cause this? When I first took it to work, I placed it right under my desk flourescent lamp and when I noticed the buds starting to fall off, I removed it thinking heat might be the issue. There are very unique environmental conditions at work. My cube is 220 ft. underground in an abandoned limestone mine that is now used for storage. There is also 24/7 flourescent light, so I was thinking maybe the lack of a day/night cycle could have something to do with it.

Comments (2)

Sponsored