SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Today's Gardening Weather

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

Well, I am inside doing virtual gardening on the computer because it is too hot to go outside and actually work in the yard or garden. (If the lack of rain keeps up, I won't have a lawn to mow, anyway.)

I was checking our temp and heat index on Yahoo Weather (it shows air temp. of 88 and heat index of 99, so a big improvement over yesterday) but my front porch shows 92 degrees. Anyway, DH is going in and out and says I shouldn't go near the garden because it is too hot and will depress me.

So, here I sit on the sofa with my trusty laptop. I notice on Yahoo that we are under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch here in Love County (and so are a lot of y'all) until 10 p.m. Do I think a drop of rain will fall here? Absolutely not. MAYBE if we washed the cars, painted the house and watered the entire yard for hours. But, we haven't done those things, so it is not going to rain here.

Some of you, I am sure, will get rain you neither want or need while others (but not us) may actually get badly-needed rain. I have decided that, in some ancient Native American language, "Marietta" surely must mean something like "Cursed City Where Rain Doesn't Fall".

In case anyone is interested, here's the Severe Thunderstorm Watch that covers many of our counties. Why in the world do we try to have gardens in this climate? Between the ice, windstorms, hail, rain, tornadoes, floods, wildfires and severe droughts, just how many REALLY GOOD gardening days do we have here? Just wondering.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Thunderstorm Watch #553 (40 counties)

Comments (15)