SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcy3459

My Take on 'Lemon Boy'

marcy3459
13 years ago

Lemon Boy was the first of my tomatoes to ripen on Memorial Day weekend. Those tomatoes were mealy and bland, but ripened soon after 5 inches of rain, so I wasn't surprised and didn't judge the tomato.

These tomatoes in the pic were harvested today. The flesh of these Lemon Boys had no mealiness and the flavor was developed. I would characterize the taste as mildly tart with no sweetness and very little acid, a perfect contrast to the sweetness of say, a Mortgage Lifter. There is really no complexity of flavor, as in the black tomatoes, which give me sweet and tart and earthy all in the same bite.

Lemon Boy, to my way of thinking, is a perfect companion to other tomatoes more complex or sweet in taste, but by itself would lead me to say 'bland' but 'mild and tart' are the first words that present to me.

I believe this particular tomato is the type that should improve on the vine if water is withheld until stress begins to show on the leaves, as seems to be the case with most heirlooms I have grown. Production on this tomato is moderate, not heavy. Plants are very healthy and a heavy leafing plant even though I pinched suckers for the first month they were in the ground.

Do I sound like I just did a wine tasting? This is what I would like for others to tell me about the tomatoes they are growing. And anyone else who has grown Lemon Boy please chime in with your take on this variety. Dawn, I think I remember you mentioning you were growing this tomato this year?

Marcy

Comments (6)