SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kokomo_jb

Cold Hardy Test Bed For the Winter of 13-14

Kokomo-JB
11 years ago

I just had a meeting with a well known Restaurant/Catering Hall located on the Long Island Sound near my house. It is actually featured on the TV show "Royal Pains" all the time as it is one of their filming locations. The Owner (who flew in from Florida) hates the "Fan Palm" look and only wants Pinnate Fronded Palms. I told him that the closest thing that might have a chance of surviving is the Butias. Once he found out that you need to wrap them over the winter(and I'm only talking about December through Feb) he was turned off. In the past, he ordered Queens and Malaysians Coconuts and basically throws them out at the end of each season...claiming the cost of doing business. I have found this to be common practice on Long Island-not only with businesses but with homeowners as well. Trying to see some good come from this, I told him that I will order him what he wants BUT at the end of the summer he must let me run experiments using the palms which he considers expendable. I thought this would be an excellent opportunity to test my 2 different anti-freeze formulas on palms. My controls will be unprotected, one will use my anti-freeze once a day, one will use it once a week and one will use it once every 2 weeks. I will do this for both the Queens and the Malaysians-using both formulas. I'm kinda excited about having coconuts to test as they are so sensitive. If they work on them, then I will truly have something amazing. When the time comes, I will create a thread just for this experiment and update it daily with pictures of how it progresses.

Comments (8)