SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
transplanted_traci

Tomato worm question...

transplanted_traci
13 years ago

So I finally waddled out to the garden (can't bend or walk well due to a little back problem that came after flu) and I need some advice:

1. DH picked my first red tomato only to find itty bitty pin hole with a huge soft spot on it!!!! Further inspection by DH (who has been monitoring the garden while I was down and out) found the same little holes on my still green yellow boys!! After that I said to heck with the back pain (that's what muscle relaxers are for) and I dove into each tomato plant. I found two very tiny (1/2 inch) green wormy caterpillar looking things. My guess is those little things are eating into my tomatoes and making them soft. I know this may be common but I kept finding info on big caterpillars with horns and not these little worms. I would appreciate any info on what they may be and how to get rid of them!

2. Just transplanted cherry tomato plant last week and leaves are totally curled up. I am thinking 4 inches of rain and all this heat is the cause...what do you think?

3. Do pepper plants stay small? I have only grown sweet bell's once before and only got 3 peppers off of them - they didn't get any larger than 12 inches tall. This year I planted a bunch and while they are starting to bear fruit, they are still short. Is that normal?

On the bright side: watermelon vines look great, I too have jalapenos and a wee baby eggplant popped out on my sorry looking plant. Zucchini appears to be free of squash bugs (thanks to the garlic spray I am sure!) but no blooms - just pretty leaves. If only everything would grow like my five year old mint that I keep pulling and digging out only to have it come back year after year!

Thanks for any help - so nice to be back in the saddle to read all the great posts!

Comments (3)