SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Passionflowers: Easy and Hard

mark4321_gw
14 years ago

It occurred to me that with all the posts about peoples' favorite flowers and all of that there's really not a good source of information about which passionflowers are easy and which are hard. If it's a spectacular flower but you only get 2 per year and only after you've barely kept the plant alive for five years that's a bit different than the spectacular one that blooms off every node starting when the vine is 2 feet long.

So when I say easy and hard I mean a whole lot of things, including but not limited to the following. Since I don't expect people to describe all their plants, how about the extremes:

Easiest or hardest to grow from seeds.

Easiest to root or hardest to root.

Easiest to bloom or hardest to bloom.

Floriferous or Stingy with flowers.

Fastest growing and slowest growing.

Bug free vs. bugs are a constant battle.

Easiest overall to grow and trickiest to grow.

I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that for now--feel free to add your own categories of course. List your favorites for one category, several or all. Some of these will of course depend on your conditions--in a pot or in the ground, climate, etc.

My experience:

Seeds: I've only grown P. edulis, and not to blooming size. It was neither easy nor hard.

Rooting Cuttings: Easiest--P. colinvauxii (roots in 5 days, probably less). Also easy P. sanguinolenta, P. parritae x antioquiensis. Hardest so far: P. membranacea (nothing yet). Hard but not impossible--P. tripartita var. mollissima.

Easiest to bloom: P. 'Blue Horizon', P. 'Lavender Lady', P. exoniensis (antioquiensis x tripartita var. mollissima). Hardest to bloom (decent sized plants and no sign of buds yet): P. tripartita var. mollissima and P. membranacea (these may both be seasonal due to summer temps. Both have probably just reached blooming size).

Most floriferous: P.'Blue Horizon', P. 'Lavender Lady', P. exoniensis, P. edulis. Mine either bloom a lot or not at all.

Fastest growing: P. membranacea (!), all Tacsonias and P. edulis. Slowest: P. sanguinolenta (this is likely my fault).

Worst bug problems--spider mites love all Tacsonias. P. edulis and P. membranacea have been relatively bug free.

Easiest overall--P. 'Blue Horizon', P.'Lavender Lady' P. exoniensis and P. edulis. Tacsonias grow well here (but may be more difficult to bloom except for P. exoniensis); they are difficult in most of the country.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH