SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Growing, blooming and fruiting Passiflora in non-ideal conditions

mark4321_gw
14 years ago

I sometimes send cuttings to people and I'm always curious whether they will grow and bloom under their conditions. So this is a pretty general open-ended question. I'm hoping to get feedback as to whether people have had success with plants that they can't leave outside all year. I would consider a plant that only needs to be protected or moved a few nights or even days as "outside".

I know there are many, many plants that people overwinter inside--and that is a great topic that should be revisited as often as possible in my opinion. However, I'm less interested in plants such as P. caerulea, which I'm sure many people take in for the winter. I'm more interested in the ones where the general wisdom is that this can't be done (or where there just isn't any info on it). Many of the plants I'm personally curious about are considered cool-growers such as Tacsonias and P. membranacea. For example, can P. x exoniensis be successfully grown and bloomed as an indoor/outdoor plant?

A somewhat different question that I've never been able to pin anyone down on is how frequently are people able to get fruit from P. edulis that is taken into a house for the winter.

And finally the most general question--who has defied what the "experts" say and grown and bloomed a plant after reading or being told that they simply can't do it with their conditions? Just a couple examples: has anyone bloomed a plant in a pot when everything they can find says it must be in the ground? Or that warm summer days will kill it or keep it from blooming? I'm sure many people have interesting experiences.

So I guess this is really at least three related questions, but I hate to start three threads. I'd love to hear anyone's success stories.

Comments (3)

Sponsored