SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelleyp125

Yellowing tomatoes, thoughts?

kelleyp125
12 years ago

I'm very happy to say that my little container garden is doing so much better this year than last year. I haven't harvested any tomatoes YET but I have oodles and gobs of them on almost all of my plants. Almost. I've got one container (a concrete mixing bin) with 2 problem plants in it, and I need some help. They are both Celebrity Red plants (determinate). They are planted in identical conditions as all of my other tomatoes (I have a total of 7, but these are my only Celebrity Reds). I got them all from Jo - Not that I'm in any way blaming her, all of my other plants are fine and she hasn't mentioned that any of her plants have this problem.

Here's my problem: These plants are turning yellow! I wish I'd taken a picture last night before I trimmed off the affected stems. But the leaves and stems are turning yellow. The leaves aren't curling. I haven't seen any bugs. There are a moderate number of blooms and a couple of tomatoes.

Here's a thought: Last year, this container was the one that contained the 2 tomato plants I had that were just sick sick sick. They were on suicide watch all season and I finally gave up on them. I assumed it was a combination of my ineptitude as a gardener and the hot, awful summer. It's been hot lately but not really that bad yet, and my other plants are all doing great. If these plants were in the ground, I'd suspect a soil problem or soil-bound pest. Since they're in containers, I'm less inclined to think that, but is there maybe a problem with the soil I put in there last year?

You guys are so wise, what do you think? (sorry I rambled, I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee, my language centers aren't functioning properly yet)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm