SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom_termine

zamia furfuracea pruning

13 years ago

Hi -

I have been keeping a potted zamia furfuracea (relatively small...has 6 leaves now) in my unheated garage during this winter (along with all of my other cycads). I have taken it in recently, and situated it in my sunroom.

I noticed that many of the lower leaflets have started to dry out a bit, and there is also some discoloration on a couple of the leaflets on the upper leaves. I am hoping that this is from getting a bit too chilled in my garage (though the lowest I saw the temps get in there this winter was in the low 30s... never hit freezing). Hopefully, it is nothing more insidious than that.

So, now that it is in my warmer sunroom (50s at night, up to the low to mid 70s day now) would it be okay to remove the dried out leaves? I have done this with Zamia integrifolia, Cycas revoluta and Encephalartos horridus in the past, with great success (sometimes for aesthetics, sometimes to get a fresh set of leaves). Typically, the plant sits for a while...then starts pushing growth as the weather warms and light levels increase.

Can I expect the same from this plant, or should I wait until more toward spring? Even as spring arrives in my neck of the woods, I do not see this plant getting outside until late April to May at the earliest, and my sunroom gets warmer and brighter from this point on...

Thanks for any advice!

Tom

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths