SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Any success with Majesty Palm as a 'houseplant'?

User
12 years ago

I had to succomb and try it once again. I have to say, for such a "common" plant, it certainly is a challenge. Frankly, cocconuts are easier in the North based on my own experience. It's a draw for me, do I overwinter it in the garage along witht the Washingtonias and Dates or in the house with the more tender palms. In the house, it gets spider mite (without fail), in my garage, it has to deal with temps that are probably cooler than it would like but at least there is no risk from the bugs. I lost one this past winter out in the garage though a smaller one in the same pot survived. In fairness, it might have been the dryness and not any cold that did it in this winter--I see this species loves water and some even recommend growing it in a saucer of water so it never dries. So, for those of you who feel bad because you lost a Majesty palm, I am here to say, give yourself a break! I have over 60 species of palms and the "Majesty" Palm (a Big Store standard), is a royal pain in the a/ss to keep alive outside of the tropics. So next winter, I'll try to overwinter in the garage but in a saucer of shallow water to keep up with its water needs and drought intolerance. Peace out.

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus