SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Do you All Have these in Oklahoma?

13 years ago

From insects

Dawn mentioned somewhere about a plague of locusts....that will probably be next to our PLAGUE OF JAPANESE BEETLES.

We had some last year that I thought was bad.........but nothing like this year.

They feed on 300 plants species, favorites a are plums, elms and obviously apple trees. I wasn't going to put up traps but when we went out yesterday morning and the plum tree was black with them, I decided they were already here and I would kill as many as I could.

They also love blackberries so I took a break yesterday morning and picked 1.5 gallons before they get all them. I lost last year's total crop to them. Now I am watching the almost ripe peach tree.

About all you can do is spray with the common sprays paying careful attention to harvest dates. I plan to drench with Sevin this morning using the large spray so I can cover a lot of territory.

I saw a few on the sweet corn and pole beans. Another curiosity this year that we didn't notice last year is they are followed by billions of flies all these insects are in breeding mode!

The only good thing is our drought. The grubs often don't survive in extremely dry ground and our mole population! You have to look on the bright side...............

Comments (13)