SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

New Stove Has Built-In Food Dehydrator Mode

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

I am so excited.

The old stove died. Actually, I think it could have been repaired, but DH said "Nope. Time for a new stove, and a really good one." So, off we went to the Sears Outlet Store at Grapevine Mills Mall in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. (What a way to spend Father's Day!)

We bought a Bosch with a ceramic/glass cooktop, which I've never had before. It also has a convection oven, which I've never had before. So, on the way home, I was reading the manual (it is a long drive home!) and started reading about how to set the convection oven to the "Dehydration" mode to dry food. There also was a chart telling you which sizes to slice the different fruits and veggies, and how long to dehydrate them. Oh, this is going to be fun!

Of course, I have dried food in a standard electric oven set to "warm" before, and have used a standard little round food dehydrator as well. But, using a convection oven with this feature is going to be so cool and also very efficient, I think.

The cherry tomatoes are ripening in huge quantity now, so I am going to get to try out this feature very soon.

I've always had just your standard electric stove with an oven and 4 burners, so the convection thing is new to me. (Well, I worked at a steakhouse in the late 1970s and we used a convection oven to bake potatoes, but that was long ago, and I hardly remember it.)

Just one more way to preserve the garden harvest more easily!

Dawn

Comments (6)