SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

Some pics of palms 2-1-6-12

jimhardy
12 years ago

Here are some pics of a few of the palms-

Quite a few are uncovered for now-mostly the Sabals and a

few of the Trachys are uncovered except for a light cover to keep night frost off.

I like to pull the lights up as soon as possible so I can pull the mulch back

and allow the sun to warm the soil...soil temps started @36F lets see what a couple mild

days in the 40s and 50s does to the sol temp.

All spear-pull was cause one night before protect...23F was the forecasted low 14F actual

Fort x Wag has pulled every year but the first,lost another leaf but should recover from here on out.

T.Nanus had already pulled from bug spray well before winter )-:

C.Cerifera lost it's top last year but regrew from pups-it lost one spear over the winter.

My little Takil pulled but should recover and appears to have survived it's first winter.

S.Louisiana and (S-pulled) T.Bulgaria

T.Tesan-(S-pull)-this one has had a rough life,spear-pulling a half a dozen times

in 3 years from cheap bug spray-supposed to be Neem but was mostly veggie oil!

Sabal Louisiana and Princeps-Princeps puller too )-:

Leaves are mostly in good shape-good winter to plant a Princeps!

B.Eriospatha was also not amused by previous rainfall and 14F temps and pulled for the first time in 4 years!

Looks like it will come back..inspite of the gaping hole in the center.

I think the rest are o.k.-this definitely shows the difference a little more size makes as the "bigger"palms did not pull

and should be ready for last protection in the future-later on with the protection and earlier off...ideally.

Small Takil-one of very few small palms to survive 14F intact,probably because the bud is lower to the ground.

One of the trunk cut Fortunei from a few years ago.

Nainital in it's 4' tall enclosure.

This Cerifera has been as tough as any Fortunei-etc,surviving numerous visits to the single digits....

(never pulled!)this palm may be as hardy as Fortunei.

Little Waggie with S.Brazoria behind it.

Couple more S.Louisiana-I really love this Sabal!

Yet another S.Lou and a Needle palm.

Another Needle palm

Bigger Waggie

T.Bulgaria,S.Lou,Needle,Waggie and S.Brazoria.

Looking in front of Cactus house-I was very tempted to remove this cover for

just the rain shield from hear on out-kind of a tough call right now-all in all-

because I would normally uncover in less than 2 weeks...I think I will wait a little longer.(-;

This is the bigger Fortunei that was trunk cut to the ground 2 springs ago-not a bad recovery for 2 years!

Click for weather forecast

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting