SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_nj

+6 freeze 1/17/09 and snowy palm pics

steve_nj
15 years ago

I can't say that I've ever noticed differences in hardiness of trachys, except perhaps vigorous plants being hardier. I had 1 reading of +6 at 7:30 AM on the north side of the house. I had 2 min/max thermometers in the slatted box about 10 feet SE of the house; the hanging one read +6 and one placed horizontally(because the bead won't stay up)read zero. What I suspect is that the horizontal placement skewed the reading. I'll try to replicate this. This appears to have been a +6 freeze, based on plant response. I've grown Trachys from seed from several sources, including from a tree in Durham. The latter has a thick, stiff fan. Here are a Bulgaria & Takil near the house; these had X-mas lights, pipe cables, and a 60 watt bulb, with a loose covering of blankets.

The wind seems to whip around this building. There was a lot of leaf-folding on these Bulgarias and the afternoon sun is starting to cause Âwinter yellowsÂ. However, they opened up again.

{{gwi:1118249}}

{{gwi:1118250}}

Two similarly sized Takils on this wall fared much better, with no leaf folding.

{{gwi:1118251}}

This Takil in a courtyard was planted April 2005 and is in good shape.

{{gwi:1118252}}

This Waggie on a South-facing wall has no damage.

{{gwi:1118253}}

In spite of itÂs appearance, there is only minimal damage (initially) on exposed foliage of this Butia. Time will tell.

{{gwi:1114571}}

Trachys are fine here. Only Chamaerops and a Washingtonia filifera burned.

{{gwi:1118254}}

Some damage to this S. Louisiana.

Exposed foliage on Chamaerops humilis cerifera burned completely.

Comment (1)