SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pghgardnewbie

Need local (PGH) source for good/free compost

pghgardnewbie
17 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I am a newbie gardener that is just starting out with an existing garden. I am starting from scratch in many places, so I need to get a good growing foundation in place.

I was smart enough to save a few bags from my raking in the fall, and started composting it in a container, which is working well. It won't be ready for awhile, though, and isn't enough to cover all my beds. So I am looking for a cheap (as in, very cheap) compost source to supplement.

I actually found this site while looking for compost sources, and found an older message that had info for possible free compost (recycled from municipal/residential pick ups, etc), but none of the links panned out. I had to typically spend several minutes explaining myself to a bored office worker who has no idea what I am talking about (and cares even less), and the answer was always "no". The gal from Monroeville laughed at me, thank you very much!

So I am in need of advice from you seasoned pros. Can anyone recommend a place that sells good compost, or, better yet, definitely gives it away? I live in Aspinwall, which is just across the river from Highland Park (and the zoo). We have a super small lot, and my raised beds butt against the sidewalk, so anything pungent (i.e. manure), is out of the question (not to mention my nutty neighbor, who rakes my leaves and cuts my grass when I don't do it "right", would have a cow).

I don't have a lot of money to spend for really good stuff (and none to overpay!), but am willing to invest some bucks to get the soil in a good spot for next year. If you can recommend a good compost, and a local place to buy it, I will check it out, too.

I appreciate you checking out my post...

Jen

Comments (10)

Sponsored