SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20046749

Mystery plants galore (warning, lots of pictures!)

User
15 years ago

Hello from a long-time lurker. Finally had to post after wandering around in my yard with a camera today. :)

Behind my back yard fence is an area that used to be a big flood-plain meadow, with trees along my property line. They're doing construction back there now, and one of their massive trucks tore down several trees late last year, including a massive roughleaf dogwood. Fortunately (?) it seems to have left plenty of suckers growing like crazy.

Poking around back there earlier this spring (before the poison ivy came back), I'm pretty sure there's a couple of spicebush plants amongst the rest. I'd love to be able to better identify one in the fall and attempt to transplant it elsewhere into my yard. We'll see about that...

In today's poking around, I found three different vines growing in the chain link. Due to a very large native pecan tree, this area gets almost full shade all day, although it's not a very dark shade. I'd love to plant a few flowering things back in the chain link, but me and the dogs have to have a discussion first!

This one is one of my two grapes:

And here's the other one:

I think the second one is maybe fox grape?

This one, however, has me stumped. It's mostly to the right of the fencepost; you can see my dogwood peeking out around and behind it:

Now for my other mysteries! I have no idea what this is, there is NOTHING even remotely like it anywhere in my yard or my neighbor's yards, and I've never seen it before:

It's not very tall, but I don't know if that's because it's naturally short or just young.

This one I'm fairly sure is some kind of a weed, but again I've never seen it before, and there's a sizable patch of it. Choking out the poison ivy, even, which can only be a good thing, right?

And my last question is this hopefully-pretty plant that's just starting to flower. It's growing up in my blackberry bush, which means I may just leave it there instead of trying to dig it out:

Whew! Here's a shot looking along my fence of that scrub area, so you can see what I'm dealing with!

Thank you all in advance, and thank you for the advice I've already gleaned from the forum. I tend to be a fairly lazy gardener, and so prefer natives and other plants that are heat and drought tolerant, for obvious reasons! I've about got my front flowerbed squared away, and am starting to think about Doing Stuff in the back yard. If the dogs will cooperate anyway...

-Jennifer

Comment (1)