SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butiaman

10yr old Pindo Palm

14 years ago

I have a 10yr old pindo Palm and two days ago we had about 2" of snow.It has been covered in snow and Ice in past winters,with no problem.In the past when it snowed or we had Ice on the trees, the stuff melted the next day because the temps.got above freezing.This is the frist time since I planted it that the temps. dident get above freezing the next day after snow or Ice.Its not suppost to get above 32*till Tuesday.I got all my small palms wrapped up before the snow and very cold temps.The lows have been in the low teens since thursday night(last night it got down to 12*)very uncommon for us.I dident get my big pindo covered,because I thought the snow would melt the next day like normal.I went out today to check on it and I could see some cold damage(very little) on the fronds,so I got all the snow of the fronds,it was just a little bit on it.I noticed snow down around the growing bud,I took a long skinny round brush and got out all the snow I could.I couldent get it all way down in the center,some was just to far down to reach.What should I do?Just leave it alone,I thought about pouring water in it but it would just freeze and could cause more damage because it's getting down to 16* tonight.Is it better to leave it in there or does anybody know a better way to get it out?Why I ask is because I seen on TV. where orange growers in florida was spraying there trees with water so they would freeze at 32*,one owner said the ice would keep the trees at 32*instead of the low 20s which the air temps. was going to be that night.Does this work?Does anybody have any Ideas what might work?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County