SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meltednorthpole

Newbee needs Help -- My backyard turned into a swamp

meltednorthpole
15 years ago

Hi everyone I am new here and I need help! We just move to our new home and I am so anxious to start my gardening this year, however, not so long ago I found out the backyard is all filled up with shells and heavy clay. So, trying to solve the problem I dug out about 2-3 inches of clay from the area that I want to plant flowers and tomatoes then I add 6 inches mixed soil on top of it. (a mixture of top soil, top soil with sand and decomposed mushroom and mushroom compost) after all the hard laboring and putting expensive soil on top, it rained heavily today, and then everything turned into a swamp, I can¡¦t even set my feet in the planting area , it¡¦s all soaked with water and my feet sinks into the ¡§soupy soil¡¨ immediately after I tried. I know that raised bed is a good solution, now can I avoid raised bed but still improving the drainage of the backyard? Putting drainage pipe under the ground? The yard is kind of underneath of a slope, do I still have hope planting anything in there this year? I am so afraid now can anyone give me some advice? Please help out!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996