SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcb4365640

Need help landscaping around my backyard stream

Kevin
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello. I have several questions about landscaping for my new house. I was wondering if you could review some of my pictures, and provide some ideas on improving the landscape. I broke the pictures down into several different categories along with more details. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Kevin

Property Boundary:

Pictures show street and satellite view of property boundary. Creek runs through property. Most of backyard encompasses wooded area, but there are some grassy areas. Grass areas on both sides of the creek that we would like to use for social gatherings (playing games, sitting by creek, eating at table, etc.). Large power lines cross the open area where there are no trees.

Creek:

Many places where erosion is happening. Any suggestions on what I could do to eliminate/reduce it without spending a lot of money (plants, rocks, etc.)? Would like to create an aesthetically pleasing area we can view and cross creek (build a bridge). I like the sound creek makes running through larger rocks. Any other ideas? Lots of trash (shopping cart, tires, etc.) and heavy brush (branches, leaves, pine needles, etc.) that needs to be cleaned out. Some of the creek goes through the grassy area and most goes through the wooded area. Pictures taken with creek low, but after rain it is higher.

Brush, Leaves, Branches, Etc.

A lot of the heavy brush is along the creek (see creek pictures). Do you think a controlled burn would be advisable? Do you have any other options to remove this brush that would not cost a lot of money? Not sure what is underneath huge brush pile next to creek, since it is “filling in” what appears to be a big holed out area. Is there something I can do to minimize the amount of heavy brush depositing in this area in the future?

Wooded Area

Lots of branches/leaves in wooded area that would be nice to clean out. At least 2 trees that appear to be dead. How can determine if they are dead, and how do I make sure no more die. I am worried about poison ivy/oak/vines, but not exactly sure what it looks like. My daughter must have gotten into it, and we had to give her medicine. Any ideas on how I can eliminate it? Finally, I would like to get rid of the leaves and brush that you see in the picture.

Grassy Areas On Both Sides of Creek

Grassy area on same side of house appears to be very poor quality grass (not deeply rooted). This side of the creek is where the ground is very damp, and dirt easily turns to mud. Is there something I can do to improve the quality of the ground/grass? Grassy area on other side of creek is much firmly rooted into ground. I would like to plant stuff like additional grapevines, blueberries, garden, etc. on this side of the creek. Are there any fruit trees/bushes that you would recommend planting for this type of land (see other side of creek where grape vines are)? I would also like any suggestions on how to improve the landscape on that side of creek.

Grapes and Trellises

I don’t know what type of grapes? Are the grape vines still alive or do they need to be replaced? I think one of the blueberry bushes is overgrowing on the side of the trellis. I am not sure if that is what it is, and if I should do something with it?

Comments (8)