SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scully931

Side yard disaster. Looking for advice.

scully931
17 years ago

Hi,

Sorry I am always ASKING questions instead of answering. Anyway, I am just beginning to landscape the house I bought last October. The backyard is great - easy to pull up grass, nice fertile looking soil. So, after seeing that at the end of fall, I got excited and ordered a ton of plants for my side yard as well! They began arriving last week, so I put out a bunch in the backyard then headed down to the side yard. Ugh. It seems as though there might have been a house there at one point or something. I keep hitting what feels like stone or a foundation or something about six to eight inches below the very hard grass. When I pull up the grass there is not much dirt to shake off. I did, however, see a lot of earthworms, so I guess that is good.

My question is, do you think it would work to buy garden soil, dig as far as I can, then build mounds for my plants and small trees? Honestly, I can't afford to have someone redo the whole side yard or spend a lot on renting equiptment, etc. I would have to fix it by hand by myself. Or, should I just forget trying to plant there? Any advice or ideas would be most appreciated! I was so hoping to turn it into a nice tropical looking area. Thank you so much!

~Deborah =-)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville