SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrabeth

Seeking NW AR source for inexp. large bale pro-mix, esp. Sunshine

terrabeth
17 years ago

Hi, all... I used to get the 70 cu ft bale of Sunshine Mix #1 for right under $25 from the nursery I shopped with. I LOVED it and the price was a fantastic deal, but have since moved across state and am looking for an affordable source for large bales of organic pro-mix at a similar price.

Any tips? I'm in the Russellville, AR area.

Thanks,

Terrabeth

Comments (8)

• oakleif
    17 years ago

terrabeth, is that a potting soil? I get a very large bag of potting mix from Blossumberry Nursery in Clarksville. It's what he uses. I've got to get a bag myself,so i'll look in to it if you are interested.
    Welcome to the forum.
    vickie

• pauln
    17 years ago

Oakleif, I LOVE Blossumberry Nursery! I got to visit a couple of weeks ago. Some good friends were looking for some Arkansas Black apples, and I figured Stanley had them. Sure enough! We wandered through the greenhouses, never knowing what we might find. A cat here, momma hen with babies there, oh look(!) here's a plant I've been wanting for a long time! The place was hopping!

• oakleif
    17 years ago

paulin, i love it too and glad it's close by.You missed the geese.
    vickie

• terrabeth
    Original Author
    17 years ago

http://www.sungro.com/products_displayProProduct.php?product_id=1&brand_id=1

That's the url for the particular kind I bought before, in a bale that size, which is 70 cu. ft, much bigger than what I usually find at retail stores (usually their large sizes are only 10cu ft at around $10 vs. the 70cu ft block I got for $22.50).

I think maybe it's hard to get mixes like this in sizes like that retail? I came across this other gardenweb thread looking for Sunshine mix, though it was for California, but a poster mentioned it not being available retail.

It's a really great growing medium, for containers, great drainage and moisture retention, and I also had good luck with sticking cuttings right into it, without any special rooting additions. It's organic, too.

I tried emailing their contact info on their website to find a retailer nearby but never got an answer. But I'd be glad to find a comparable mix in another brand in that large 50-70 cu. ft. size for a price anywhere near what I was able to purchase it for ($22.50) at the nursery I used to be nearer to. Any ideas, especially for finding a seller around here that sells those large sizes like that retail, and approx. price, if you know off hand? I did find a great nursery near London (right next door to Russellville) that I think I can get a large bale of the pro-mix they use for around $35, not bad. (http://www.abcnature.com) That may be my best option. I think the $22.50 price I was getting across state was a special, near cost deal, kind of as a bonus for being a regular customer at that particular nursery.

I'll also have to check out the Clarksville nursery you all have mentioned, too... that's pretty close to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunshine Mix #1

• oakleif
    17 years ago

terrabeth, I'm so sorry i was so slow getting the info from Blossomberrys. They do carry the larger sunshine bales for $29.00. But they are out right now but are expecting more to come in but don't know when. They have another kind now Poomix,same size, for$25.00. their phone number is 479-754-6489.
    vickie

• terrabeth
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, wow! Thanks so much... as it turned out, the source I thought I could get a 50-70cu. ft bale for $32 was actually going to be just a 3.8cu. ft bale for that price. I was just worrying about how I was going to afford to fill all the buckets I want to put some new herb transplants in. The 70cu. ft. bale I got before filled at least a dozen 5gallon buckets. I don't need that many this year, but I do want to put a top layer of Sunshine on the top of a bed or two for finer seeds. (More on my chunky compost questions later in another thread, ha.)

Terrabeth

• terrabeth
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went to Blossomberry's today... I'm so glad you told me about it, what a great nursery! And I learned that what I was thinking was 70cu. ft. is NOT 70cu. ft. 70cu. ft. bales would have to be moved around with a front end loader! But he does stock the size I was actually misremembering that I had, the 3.8 compressed bales of Sunshine Mix. I wonder why I had 70cu. ft. stuck in my head?

Anyway, thanks again, I'll definitely be going back. :)

Terrabeth

• terrabeth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I've moved and came back here to follow-up on this earlier inquiry: Does anyone know where I can by Sunshine Mix (or Pro-Mix) in the Fayetteville, AR area?

SunGro's website doesn't list any local retailers, the closest they list is Fort Smith, but as noted last year in this thread, Blossomberries in Clarksville sole bales of it, so I don't trust the Sungro site to list everyone who may have it.

I -love- this potting mix, so if anyone happens to know where I can get it near here, do tell!

Thanks so much, happy gardens!

Terrabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunshine Mix #1