SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queenllama

Cutting sod, stilt grass, and other questions

QueenLlama
9 years ago

I have oh so many questions... We have an organic lawn in Maryland. Half the lawn is heavily shaded and the grass is not doing well. The back lawn is badly infested with stilt grass. Ugh.
My questions...

1) We are core aerating our entire lawn with a hand tool because we cannot afford to rent, buy or transport one of the machines. This is a heck of a lot of work. So... is there a study or something that shows that aeration really works... because if not, I can find something else to do with my time!!

2) Our idea is to get rid of the lawn in the shady areas entirely and replace with ground cover and/or organic mulch. This must be a low-budget operation. How does one do this? Just cover the grass with mulch? Use a tiller first?

3) In a few spots, the shaded grass is healthy. I'd like to peel up this nice grass and use it as strips of sod to help with areas that are struggling. How does one go about peeling off the sod strips so as not to damage the roots?

4) The Japanese stilt grass. We are DETERMINED to manage this without Roundup. My idea is to manually weed it out of one small section of yard each year, and (try) to keep it from seeding. Unfortunately, we were not able to keep it from seeding entirely (went on vacation), but we did use a grass catcher when mowing when we noticed the seed starting. Hopefully most of the seed when into the catcher. So... is this idea of manually weeding a small section each year crazy and futile? Note: I know that one can help control stilt grass by watering less... but this summer we did not water even once... it just rained a lot all summer.

All for now, Appreciate any ideas you have.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES