SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Journal - Last week of April

christie_sw_mo
14 years ago

I'm suffering from withdrawl this morning. I missed the Master Gardener sale. I didn't think of it until about 7:30 and it was raining out so I stayed home. The plants go so quickly. You miss the good stuff unless you get there really early and wait in line. Did anyone go? I think I'm going to have to go plant shopping later today.

My daughter wanted to plant a tree for Earthday so she went to Wickman's with a friend and came home with a Sensation Lilac - not a tree, but some of them were in bloom and her nose wouldn't let her go past them. We still need to get it planted. I don't have any other lilacs so I was happy with her choice.

It's still looking like we're not going to get a late frost this year. Isn't that strange! I think I'll be watching the forecast until June still waiting for it. I can't remember ever NOT having to cover something. There's gotta be a catch.

My purple leaf sandcherries are going to fruit this year. I have two different kinds and their blooms usually don't overlap but they did this year and they have a bunch of little cherries smaller than peas right now. I've never had more than 3 or 4 cherries a year in the past, but have gotten to taste them and really they're pretty good. I need to find a good deal on bird netting for those and for my blueberries.

My daughter and I planted a bunch of glad bulbs that were in a bag in my kitchen cabinet all winter. I didn't expect them to still be good after so long, but most looked alright. I soaked several of the ones that were dried out and dead looking and even some of those were starting to sprout so I planted them all. There were dozens but many were very small and won't bloom this year.

This rain is really making things grow, my broccoli, the yard, the weeds. lol I'm very grateful though. It's downright depressing to have to water in the spring. I wasn't keeping up very well with my potted stuff. I accidently let some of my seedlings dry out that were sitting on my patio. I think I lost all my cheddar cauliflower babies and a few other things.

Looks like the bad storms are going to go south of us. Hope those of you in Arkansas are safe this weekend.

Comments (5)