SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robolink

What's blooming for you right now?

robolink
18 years ago

What's blooming in your garden right now? I'd like to get a sort of calendar of Oklahoma bloomers by month going here so newer gardeneres can learn from the more experienced what will bloom when. Let us know if it is a shade plant and what zone you are in. Also, let's keep this with perennials or reseeding annuals, not purchased annuals. I'm looking for new flower ideas!

I've had roses (climber and tea) blooming for about a month now. (sun, of course)

scabiosa - P (sun) started blooming last week

May Night salvia (perennial) Sun blooming for several weeks

lamium (pink blooms in the shade) P

oxalis (pink blooms) sun P

flax (just finishing up) sun reseeding annual?

poppies (just finishing) sun reseeding annual

dianthis (has been blooming for more than a month and is still blooming) sun and part sun - P

Iris - some still blooming, most already finished (sun)

amaryllis - nearly open (sun)

tiger lily - forming buds (sun)

petunia (sun) reseeded in the vegetable garden---has been blooming for a few days

zinnias, marigolds, cosmos are about 4 inches tall - have LOTS of those - reseeding

That's all I can think of right now. Help me with some new ideas!

Robin in Southern Logan County

Comments (20)

• plantermunn
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The only thing I have blooming that is not on your list is Peonies and purple smoke. They are in full sun.

• wolflover
    18 years ago

Roses 'Joseph's Coat' blooming for about a month now -- sun
    May Night salvia -P- Sun - blooming within a week of the last freeze in March
    oxalis (pink blooms) shade P
    oxalis purple, whitish blooms - shade P -- blooming for weeks now
    Nigella -(Love in a Mist) - sun - reseeding annual
    Iceland poppies - part shade, reseeding annual
    Dianthus (has been blooming for more than a month and is still blooming) partial shade or sun
    Iris - finishing blooming now (sun & shade) P
    Bears Breeches, shade P - blooming for over a month now
    Columbine - partial shade P- finishing up now
    Ajuga - Sun or Shade, P- finishing up blooming now
    Tiarella - Shade P- blooming now
    Heuchera - Sun or Shade P - blooming now

• Related Discussions

What's blooming right now....

Q

Comments (33)
    Alana, the Neon Rose you sent me is just amazing!!! The pic above was taken on Dec 18th. This pic was taken tonight and not a single flower has faded yet!!! Looking down at all seven open blooms: And here she is with her friends: Neon Rose at top, with Blossom Peacock, Gervase and Sweet Lilian from left to right. The only thing I can think is that because the pot is outside, the cold weather is acting as a preservative. We dip down into the mid 30's at night, and rise up to mid 60's during the day. We've had a few frosty mornings, but the pot is protected by the porch roof. Certainly can't thank you enough for that PROLIFIC bulb!! :-) Phoenix Ryan
    ...See More

What's blooming right now in L.A. area?

Q

Comments (11)
    I'd second the Getty, LA Arboretum and Descanso and add South Coast Botanic gardens in Palos Verdes. That garden is good, not great, but the main reason to go is to also walk the trail along PV bluffs, looking out to Catalina island. The greenbelt there is planted with sages, chamise, coyote bush, ceanothus and other salt-tolerant natives. Here's 2 pics I took last spring, the first one of many stands of purple sage (Salvia leucophylla).
    ...See More

What's blooming for you??

Q

Comments (22)
    Hello everyone :) About a month or two new to hoyas. My javanica/multiflora has 3 peduncles that keep growing and growing and.... but that's all right now. My bella is sprouting new shoots like crazy all of a sudden, and its been soo long since I've had a bella I forgot where they get their peduncles. Also I don't know if it's just the season or the amount of light but my lauterbachii seems to be growing quite slowly. It's in a south west facing window that gets pretty sunny and warm. When my other babies start growing and blooming I'll have to take pics and learn how to post them, till then I'll enjoy everyone elses!!!!
    ...See More

Garden pics 5-11-04

Q

Comments (15)
    Madspinner, I was driving up to Mt. Baker a few weeks ago and thought of how cool it would be to live in the mountain foothills... of course a lot of the plants I am growing wouldn't last too long up there! On Olearia phloggopappa, I have sent seed to a few people and no one has had any luck with it yet. I will collect fresh seed and try it myself this summer. It's possible that it needs cold stratificaiton. Anyone who wants to discuss this further please do so via email. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.
    ...See More
  • susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Not much right now, to speak of, but:

Heuchera 'Raspberry Ice'
    Lilium 'Latvia' (asiatic)
    Clematis Jackmanii
    Arisaema triphyllum
    Astilbe arendsii pink
    Campanula takesisima 'Elizabeth'
    Epimedium wushanense hybrid
    Iris 'Sierra Grande'
    Thalictrum 'Illuminator'
    Nepeta (?)
    Limnanthes douglasii (poached egg)
    Larkspur (dwarf) - mixed colors
    Climbing rose (have no idea; hate the thing)
    Verbascum 'Violetta'
    Lavendar 'Provence'
    Itea Virginica 'Little Henry'
    Chameleon plant
    Parsley
    Rue

Have giant swallowtail cats and one black swallowtail cat on my Rue.

Getting ready to bloom:

Lilium (asiatic) 'Oklahoma City'
    Other asiatic lilies (don't recall their names)
    Two late iris
    Lady Bells
    Astilbe
    Viscaria
    Calla lilies (several colors)
    Achillea 'Oertles Rose' and 'Coronation Gold'
    Clematis 'Polish Spirit'
    Borage
    Butterfly Bush (nanho blue)
    Coneflower 'Sunrise'
    Agastache - gold foliage
    Joe Pye Weed
    Mimulus Ringens (blue flowers)

I just planted out several of my winter sown plants, and need to plant out more, if not for the wet soil. I have several daturas, love lies bleeding, solanum quitense, shoo fly plant, blackberry lily (different colors), scabiosa, stinging nettle, milk thistle (these last two are host plants for butterflies), basil, dahlias, Arisaema sikokianum, Nicotiana 'Fragrant Cloud' (already planted out one container), Chinese Lanterns, Gaillardia, coneflower 'Ruby Star', Gazania, just planted out salpiglossi, malva mauritania, one milkweed incarnata (have several more), echium 'Pride of Madiera'.

I have direct sown Asclepias curassavica, which is up, and cassia or senna alata, which is up - such a pretty seedling, the true leaves are bright yellow! - cosmos, including cosmis orange, zinnias, nigella, and other annuals.

Oh, and Dawna - I have two new Alocasia Luteas, New Guinea Gold, and a variegated odora?

Here's to a summer full of fun growing!

Susan

• Annie
    18 years ago

I live in zone 6b, E.Central OK

Pansies, yellow & blues - Full bloom & blooming since March;
    Wild Species Rose (native to Okla.) - bloomed in April;
    Rugosa Rose, Winterberry Breeze - first to bloom in April;
    Antique roses, raspberry rambler - blooming since April;
    Antique roses, others, Damasks & Albas - beginning to bloom;
    Carolina Cherokee Roses, rambler/climber - full bloom;
    Tea roses, various in rose garden - blooming and budding;
    Rose, Queen Victoria (pink) supposedly a climber - budding;
    New Dawn, climbing roses - pale pink, in full bloom;
    Don Juan, climbing rose - velvety red, full bloom;
    Red Night, tea, grandiflora, black-red - blooming;
    Cleome, deep red, unknown (mislabeled at Lowe's) - blooming;
    Bachelor's Buttons, various colors - beginning to bloom;
    Blanket flower (Gaillardias) - beginning to bloom;
    Hybrid Daylilies, various - beginning to bloom;
    Peruvian Daylily - just finished blooming;
    Irises -Early Irises done; later ones just beginning;
    Dahlias, various - budding;
    Native Red Honeysuckle (red w/yellow)- blooming since March;
    Japanese Honeysuckle - yellow w/white, full bloom;
    Larkspurs - budding
    Herb, Yarrow, Coronation Gold - budding
    Herb, Chammomile - budding
    Herb, Lavenders, Munstead, budding;
    Herb, Lavenders, Grosso - budding;
    Herb, Lavender, Province - budding;
    Herb, Lavenders, English - budding;
    Herb, Lavenders, Hidcote - budding;
    Herb, Nepeta 'Catmint' - blooming since March
    Hollyhock, Old-fashioned singles - budding;
    Hollyhock, Double white - budding;
    Peonies, pink and white - still blooming;
    Poppies, Shirley - still blooming;
    Poppies, Oriental - blooming;
    Poppies, California - blooming;
    Texas Blue Bonnet - finished;
    Red Hot Poker - just finished;
    Salvia, Blue Bedder - full bloom;
    Indian Paintbrush - blooming;
    Butterfly Weed - budding;
    Coreopsis - begining to bloom;
    Coneflower, pale Narroleaf (wild) - budding;
    Dianthus, various - blooming;
    Herb, Clove Pinks - almost finished (will rebloom after it rests);
    Blue Phlox, groundcover - blooming since April;
    Herb, Yarrow, native white - budding;
    Herb, Calendulas (Pot Marigolds)- beginning to bud;
    Herb, Our Lady's Mantle - beginning to bloom;
    Lipstick Plant - blooming;
    Herb, Pelargonium, Coconut-Scented Geranium - blooming;
    Solanium, Royal Robe, blue w/yellow centers - blooming;
    Ageratum, blue - blooming since March;
    Johnny-Jump-Ups - blooming;
    Wild Raspberries, ground cover - blooming & fruiting;
    Indian Feather,(Gaura lindeimeri)'Correy's Gold'- beginning;
    Indian Feather,(Gaura lindeimeri), Siskiyou Pink - ditto;
    Queen Elizabeth, (Cardinal Flower) - budding;
    Water Iris, Yellow Flags - beginning to bloom;
    Water Lilies, pink hardy - beginning to bloom.

This does not include flowering shrubs, grapes, fruit, berries, Cactus & Succulents. :)

~ SweetAnnie4u

• Annie
    18 years ago

Ooops, that is supposed to be:
    Queen Elizabeth rose (climber)- budding, not Victoria.

• mrsfrodo
    18 years ago

Great idea Robin! I have a notebook with a record of when I plant/sow and what is blooming/fruiting. I also take an awfull lot of photos- drives my husband crazy when I take a photo of dead foliage from bulbs. It helps me to recognize where I need to fill in things and where to dig up things I want to move. It doesn't tell me what to put in to fill the blank spaces for a particular time on year. This thread will sure help plan what to add next year.

What's blooming?

Coreopsis, unknown variety from last fall's swap (was it from you Robin?- awesome!) is in full bloom. Perennial, sun.
    Coreopsis- Dawn Sun? is just starting to bloom. Perrenial?
    Forget-me-nots- blooms have slowed down. Shade, perenial
    Daylily- Stellas, have buds, perennial, sun or partail shade
    Iris- sun/partial shade, perennial
    Pink shamrocks- shade, perennial
    Dichelostemma ida-maia, the vendor says full sun, they are in part to full shade, perennial
    Shasta Daisies- have buds, sun, perennial

• robolink
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, everyone for your lists. I hope to see more!

Plantermum--do you have a pic of purple smoke?

Wolflover, Bear's Breeches sounds like something to look into. I checked a lot of these on google images.

Susanlynne, do you have pictures? Your plants sound wonderful!

Sweetannie, I've seen your photo albums! I'd love to come see your place!! And keep us updated on what to do with our roses, ok?

Andrea, not my coreopsis. I wish I had some! I tried winter sowing some this year, but my soil was really bad. Will have to try again next year. They sprouted and then just sat there. I went ahead and put them in the ground, but with the fluctuating temps we've had, they just didn't make it. My daughter has some beautiful ones!

Show us some of your pictures!

Let's keep this thread running as more things bloom.

Robin

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I have taken a few, but I need to get a USB port for my dig. Daughter lost the other one. Will post as soon as I get one.

Have fallen in love with the Arisaema triphyllum (jack-in-the-pulpit). They are so very pretty and cute, and unique looking in the garden.

Susan

• robolink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susan,

Tell me more about your calla lillies. I have some bulbs (keep forgetting to pot them up or plant them). Is it too late? Where are yours planted? Sun or shade? Do they return or do you dig them in the fall? How many years have you had them?

And tell us more about your jack-in-the-pulpit. Where did you get it?

Thanks,
    Robin

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Sorry, just now saw this post! Please forgive my slow attentiveness.

I got the tubers from a guy I traded some hardy begonia tubers with (I think I promised some begonia tubers to someone else on this forum, which I do have some if he still wants some). But, he gave me two really nice-sized ones, and they came up and flowered and are still up and flowering! I planted them in a VERY well-draining mix.

Did you know they are a native plant here in Oklahoma? I hope to get offsets next year.

The calla lillies I just purchased in bags at TLC and HD. THis is their first year. But, I saw an Oklahoma Gardening show where a lady who lives in NE Oklahoma grows them year-round in the ground, so hopefully, they will winter over, unless we get a wet winter and they rot. I will mulch them well, to keep them on the dry side, and let you know how it goes. I planted Zantedeschia aethiopica (species, with white spotted foliage, and white flowers), and several with colored flowers, like Flame, a peach, bright pink, light pink, purple, etc. Some I planted in sun, and others in part shade, just to see what did best where.

I am not going to dig them up because I think they should be hardy in the ground here. We'll see. If you want to take the road well traveled, you might want to plant some in a pot that you can bring in over the winter. They were not that expensive for me to buy, so I figured if they don't make it, I can try again.

They like to be kept moist during the growing season, but very dry when dormant.

Susan

• robolink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, thanks! I'm going to plant mine now. Just needed some idea of what to do. I'm going to go ahead and put them in the ground. I'll let you know what happens.

Anyone have any other blooms right now?

Robin

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Clematis 'Polish Spirit' just started, as well as my other 'Jackmanii'.

I might mention that the larkspur and poached egg plant are two that I grew from my winter sowing this year. The viscaria that I planted, also grown from winter sowing, is getting ready to bloom as well (red blooms). Yippee!

Anyone else getting blooms from winter sowing efforts?

Susan

• robolink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's great, Susan! My winter sowing was not a great success. I started sowing in Jan and Feb. and used Wal-Mart's cheap soil. I think that was a mistake. Things sprouted pretty well, and then just sat there. I think they may have dried out too often. I have a few poached egg plants (very small) and my larkspur will be quite late, if it makes it. Would you mind sharing your sowing dates and any other winter sowing helps? I'd really appreciate it.

Robin

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

The larkspur was planted January 8, 2006 and was up on January 23, 2006. I planted it out about a month ago.

Poached egg was planted January 22, 2006, and was up on February 3, 2006. It was also planted out about a month ago.

Viscaria (or ruby flax) was planted January 8, 2006 and was up on January 25, 2006. Planted out same time as the poached egg and larkspur.

All of these were sown in Bacto potting mix, which I really don't recommend to anyone. I didn't know that it did not have fertilizer in it, so I had to fertilize once the seedlings were up. It also has a tendency to get very hard and almost impenetrable by water. I was very attentive to my seedlings this year since it was my first time.

I used the soda bottle method. Seeds were put on the East side of my house, and some in the backyard facing south, but along the west fence line which is pretty shady actually.

Since these are pretty much "wildflowers", though, that may be why they did okay in the Bacto mix.

I've heard that Wal-mart's soil is not the best to use. It is best to use Miracle Gro or something with fertilizer in it. I used Schultz after I finished the Bacto.

I planted out a lot of my other seedlings now, too, but still have lots to go. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions - I love talking gardening.

Susan

• robolink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I used milk jugs and they were in full sun. I also did not use duct tape around to close the cut line. (Just pushed the top into the bottom.) I'm wondering if I just didn't keep enough moisture in them. Then, with our extreme fluctuating temps, it didn't help any.

I'm still wondering why they sprouted nicely, then just sat there. I STILL have snapdragons with their first leaves after a few months! Then, my experience is if I put them into the ground that small, they expire from wind, heat, etc. I did switch to MG potting soil but some of my annuals didn't perform much better. A FEW did, some blue salvia and melampodium grew nice plants before I sat them out.

I'll have to try some different techniques next year and hope things turn out better!

Robin

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

I had a few that did that. I found that some of them, the soil just got a bit compacted around the seedlings, and I just had to use my fingers to break it up a bit. Then, despite the Schultz fertilizer in the soil, I fertilized them at about 1/4-1/2 strength fertilizer anyway. My Ruby Star echinacea is still very small. It could be because it's perennial, and slower to start, I don't know. I've taken the tops of all of them.

I did a few milk jugs, but they did not work very well for me. Like you, I didn't use tape, and they dried out much quicker. I quit using them and went to all soda bottles. Sometimes it just is bumfuzzling, Robin! I'm no expert by any means. I've never grown snapdragons because they like cool conditions, don't they? I bought some "summer snapdragons" today at Horn's - angelonias. Heard of them? Also, host plants for buckeye butterflies. Very pretty, too.

I need to get my basil and my tomato plants put in big pots. Best get going.....

Susan

• robolink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've never heard of angelonias. Will have to check them out. Are they perennial?

On your soda bottles, where did you make cuts? Did you put the top over the bottom? And how did you make drainage holes?

Anyone have any new blooms yet?

Robin

• SandL
    17 years ago

What's blooming?

Clematis - H.F. Young and Henrii. I planted them together so that the flowers would intermingle.
    Salvia 'East Friesland'
    Bearded Iris in all shades of purple
    Pincushion flower 'Butterfly Blue'
    Cecille Brunner climbing rose
    Hybrid Tea 'Tiffany'
    Hybrid Tea unknown
    Floribunda red blooms, unknown
    Peony 'Sandra Bernhardt'
    The hostas aren't blooming yet, but they are all full and bushy = )

What already bloomed?
    All creeping phlox
    Azalea 'Stewartstonian'
    Lilac bush

My garden really gets going after May as most are summer to fall bloomers.

H

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

H - your plants sound beautiful, too! Love the clematis combo idea! Have never heard of that Azalea - what color, type?

Robo - the Angelonia is in the snapdragon family, but it takes the hot, hot heat of Oklahoma, unlike the regular snapdragons do, and they are so pretty. Also, they are a host plant for buckeye butterflies! They are not perennial, but will self-sow, I am told.

Re: soda bottles. I cut them in half a little over half-way up the bottle. In the top part of the bottle, I cut a slit about 2-3" vertically up the bottle, so I could fold that slit, like a flap, over, to fit it into the top of the bottom portion of the bottle. In the bottom of the bottle, I punched holes in each of the 4 points with a pop-bottle opener (we used to call them church-keys). You leave the screw-on top off of the bottle for ventilation. I fill the bottom portion with potting soil, almost to the top, because by the time you water the soil in, it will settle to about 4-5" of soil. Then I sow my seeds, put the lid on it, label it (I used note cards, cut in several pieces, a pen to write the name and date of sowing, and packing tape to tape it on the bottle. Make sure you get a good seal on the tape so that water won't get inside the label. Set outside in whatever light conditions the plant requires. In the winter I put mine up against the east side of the house, mainly because they got some protection from blowing winds, and a few in the backyard against the west side of my fence up close by the house. As it got warmer, I put more in the backyard against my deck on the south side and more further in the back on the west side against the fence. I wanted to give them some anchoring for wind protection. I also put lots of leaves around them to protect them from drying out and temp fluctuations.

Susan

• david_oklahoma
    17 years ago

Everything I have has already been mentioned by others. My favorites that are in bloom/blooming is my black Iris, Bat Face plant, and Moonflowers. I think I am the only one left that likes Moonflowers, but then, I was the last one to learn about them, so it's only fair I suppose.

SusanLynne and SweetAnnie..........What a list! You two won't need to feed your Hummingbirds for a month, at least! I bet it's beautiful around your houses *smile*.

David

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations