SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

urgent: severe storm risk is high today

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
12 years ago

The Storm Prediction Center has upgraded the severe storm risk from 'moderate' to 'high' for a large portion of central and northern Oklahoma. Other portions of the state have a 'moderate' risk.

If you're asking yourself "how bad" a moderate risk could be, keep in mind that the Joplin tornado happened on a moderate risk day. Now, try to imagine how much worse a bad tornado could be on a high risk day. Got your attention? Good. I hope so. On a day like today, the potential exists that any tornadoes which develop could be especially strong and especially long-lived. That is a very sobering thought.

Every single one of us needs to be very aware of our weather at all times today. PLEASE take today's severe weather potential very, very seriously. If you are out and about today and have a portable weather radio or smartphone with weather alert APPs, please keep it with you at all times. Please, please, please.

I've linked the webpage of the Norman Weather Office below. It has some great info on it today (as always). Please read it, even if you normally don't.

As always, for as long as our house has internet service, I'll post one thread for Severe Thunderstorm Warnings and a separate thread for each individual Tornado Warning if I can keep up with them. Don't rely on this forum as your sole source of storm info.---it is only meant to be an extra resource so we can keep an eye on the weather while we're here talking about gardening.

Even if you normally are not a weather watcher, please be a weather watcher today. Your and your family's lives could depend on it.

If you do not have an in-ground tornado shelter or a tornado safe room, what is your plan for shelter today? Do you have a plan? You need one. Does your employer have a plan for where you would go if a storm hit while you are at work? I hope so.

In our neighborhood, everyone who has a storm shelter or tornado safe room always has welcomed any and all neighbors to come shelter with them. I hope the same is true everywhere in our state.

I'm going to post Dr. Forbe's TorCon Index on its own thread so I can update it without bumping this thread down the page if he upgrades it during the day as he sometimes does.

I hope and pray everyone here and their loved ones and their property and beloved pets make it through this high risk day safely.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Enhanced Webpage of Norman Office of NWS

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations